banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There are some things I just don't understand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are some things I just don't understand.

For example: It boggles my mind that anyone would spend about $2000 on a bolt-on guitar. If you are going to spend that much, why not go all out?
    A neck-thru or set-neck guitar *can* grant more sustain right?
    Not to mention the extra playability offered in most cases.
    I have considered that lots of you guys buy vintage teles and strats for mojo and collectors value, and that scenario doesn't apply to my misunderstanding. I just think that if you are going to buy something that is going to be displaying your skill sonically, why not choose the one that will give you the most advantage in terms of playability and sustain? Discuss among yourselves, it would be cool to see what others think about the subject.
    My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
    The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
    Originally posted by CTN
    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Re: There are some things I just don't understand.

The bolt on design has inherent qualities that are signature to that style. It's not a question of "better" but of taste. To me, neck throughs don't spank like a strat or tele does.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

does the "spank" really come from the construction or the species of wood and the pickups??

i think a neck-thru, all maple guitar with texas specials would spank more than a traditional strat would.
      Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Originally posted by rumblebox View Post
        does the "spank" really come from the construction or the species of wood and the pickups??

i think a neck-thru, all maple guitar with texas specials would spank more than a traditional strat would.
        Neck thru seems to thrum, piano-like (with fresh strings, that is). Anyway, it's all subjective. A good bolt-on is a good bolt-on. If it sounds good, it is good.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
        Originally posted by Securb
        The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by rumblebox View Post
          But they don't

Which is evidence of the folly in pondering specs on the internet instead of just playing a ton of different guitars.
          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

i've owned 2 strats. i've built teles. my M100 is bolt on. my H-401FM is set neck. my MH-350NT is a neck thru. i've played a few.

my les paul with mini-humbuckers has more "pop" and "spank" than any strat/tele i've ever played.
            Last edited by rumblebox; 03-06-2012, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by youngthrasher9 View Post
              For example: It boggles my mind that anyone would spend about $2000 on a bolt-on guitar. If you are going to spend that much, why not go all out?
              A neck-thru or set-neck guitar *can* grant more sustain right?
              Not to mention the extra playability offered in most cases.
              I have considered that lots of you guys buy vintage teles and strats for mojo and collectors value, and that scenario doesn't apply to my misunderstanding. I just think that if you are going to buy something that is going to be displaying your skill sonically, why not choose the one that will give you the most advantage in terms of playability and sustain? Discuss among yourselves, it would be cool to see what others think about the subject.
              This deserves a little deeper explanation.

The method of securing a neck doesn't really impart a ton of difference to the overall tone of a guitar, all things considered. If you have a good, tight neck joint, it doesn't really matter if it's held on with bolts or with glue. The individual pieces of wood, hardware, electronics, and overall design (shape, scale, angles, etc.) have a much, much larger impact.

The truth is that it takes just as much work to make a great neck joint regardless of how you're attaching the final product. In one case you use screws to bolt it down, in the other you glue it and clamp it for a day or two.

For a very brief time, guys used to glue in the necks of their Fenders, but that practice died out quickly when they realized it didn't really improve anything and just netted them a neck they could no longer replace on a guitar they could no longer resell.

Neck-throughs are a somewhat different matter, but as you'll notice most people using them tend to be the super-high-gain active pickup crowd, that design doesn't usually translate into the huge-sounding sustain monsters people who haven't spent much time with them would expect it to.

tl;dr - no reason a bolt-on should cost less than any other guitar based on neck-attachment alone.
              -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

I agree with Adam. That said, I don't really think there's any guitar I'd pay 2 g's for, I say this having owned a $3000 neckthru CS ESP once.

Comment

yea i see no reason to pay more than a grand for a guitar when i have the less expensive options and all the tools and skill to improve them.... or build them.

Comment

As the owner of two different stratocasters (one custom made neck thru, one MIJ 62 Reissue) I feel like I should chime in on this one.

Bolt on does NOT in any way mean that said guitar is of inferior build quality when compared to an identical set neck guitar. It's just different. As some fans of Chihoe Hahn may have heard before, a properly constructed bolt on guitar should be able to be picked up by the neck WITH NO BOLTS IN and hold the body up with it.

Just because one method of construction is cheaper doesn't mean that when it's done right, it's inferior.
                    Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I would absolutely, without question, pay $2k and up for a finely crafted guitar with a bolt on neck.

In fact, in a few months I am going to do exactly that.

When you buy a guitar, you pay for overall quality. The neck joint is only one part of that.
                      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                        I would absolutely, without question, pay $2k and up for a finely crafted guitar with a bolt on neck.

In fact, in a few months I am going to do exactly that.

When you buy a guitar, you pay for overall quality. The neck joint is only one part of that.
                        Pics or it didn't (hasn't? won't?) happened/happen.
                        Custom neck-thru strat
                        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                        1995 PRS CE24
                        D'avanzo #8
                        Breedlove Solo Concert
                        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                          Pics or it didn't (hasn't? won't?) happened/happen.
                          just take a look at my thread about my guitars, and revise that conclusion

Comment

I don't mean to soumd patronising, but this is an opinion that always seems to be particularly prevalent amongst younger guys. I remember thinking the same thing when I was 17-18. I wonder why that is.
                            I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                              I don't mean to soumd patronising, but this is an opinion that always seems to be particularly prevalent amongst younger guys. I remember thinking the same thing when I was 17-18. I wonder why that is.
                              Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
                              I dig the wood!

Comment

Working...
                              X