No announcement yet.

First NGD in 6 years!! (Gibson content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First NGD in 6 years!! (Gibson content)

NGD!!

Was just browsing online as usual, not thinking I'd find anything within my range, and then BOOM, there it was. Couldn't believe the deal bros! I said 2012 was going to be the year of the Gibson for Dank, but I didn't think I'd pull it off.

I present you my first Gibby ever!! (2001 Les Paul Special)

still dirty, gotta clean it up and slap some new 10s on.

tiny boo boo on the front of the headstock over the logo; not a dealbreaker, but not my favorite place for a scratch (doesn't show up too well in the pic, which is good, it's not deep):

I know peeps go nuts over having an LP lay like that, I'll pick it up now.
    Last edited by DankStar; 03-09-2012, 01:59 PM.

Re: First NGD in 6 years!! (Gibson content)

That thing just screams ROCK AND ****ING ROLL.

Congrats!
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

thanks man! only nit so far is the back of the neck is a bit glossier (dare I say sticky, but not really) than the rest of the guitar's finish (it's like that where the fingers rest below the high e too). would appear the finish changes a bit with repeated touching or something.

Comment

Nice! I love those things. I'm not sure how crazy I am about the creme plastics, but that's one awesomely rockin' guitar.

Congrats, man. Enjoy it.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats, dude!

Comment

Sweet!
              " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Comment

Congratulations!! I think those have a 498T/490R pickup combo. Any plans on changing them?

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                  Congratulations!! I think those have a 498T/490R pickup combo. Any plans on changing them?
                  Thanks!

And hell no on the pickup change! Played through my valvestate and sounds like a dream with volume up, volume back, front pup by itself, both blended, and every which way. Always wanted a 498.

I'll need to find that serial number decoder ring now, it might be a 2002.
                  Last edited by DankStar; 03-09-2012, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Nice !! Congrats!!
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                      thanks man! only nit so far is the back of the neck is a bit glossier (dare I say sticky, but not really) than the rest of the guitar's finish (it's like that where the fingers rest below the high e too). would appear the finish changes a bit with repeated touching or something.
                      Yep; that's what happens. It'll eventually wear off completely and you'll be left with just the clear gloss base coat.

The stickiness will go away when you clean it IME.

See the worn edge on this guitar? That is what happens. It gets glossy first, then little pinholes start forming, then the pinholes enlarge and connect, and you eventually just end up with a gloss natural finish. The back of the neck on this guitar has quite a bit of natural finish showing through. It is only 8 years old, and hasn't even been played all that much.

Congrats on the guitar.
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-09-2012, 06:23 PM.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Ive seen those for sale locally and have often been very tempted to pick it up.

Comment

Cool guitar, I like them a lot. All mahogany!
                          My Bands -
                          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Ahh, great info on the finish. I can live with it.

Guitar is solid. Might lower the low e side a hair but other than that it's ready to rock.

Very impressed by Gibson, makes me want another with binding.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                              Yep; that's what happens. It'll eventually wear off completely and you'll be left with just the clear gloss base coat.

The stickiness will go away when you clean it IME.

See the worn edge on this guitar? That is what happens. It gets glossy first, then little pinholes start forming, then the pinholes enlarge and connect, and you eventually just end up with a gloss natural finish. The back of the neck on this guitar has quite a bit of natural finish showing through. It is only 8 years old, and hasn't even been played all that much.

Congrats on the guitar.

Yep. I got Jeremy's 04 and it looks like it has been played for the last 50 years. I love the thin faded finishes and it seems they resonate more than any of the higher end gloss Specials/Jr's.

Sweet guitar Dank!

Comment

Working...
                              X