banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to grab up on a bright sounding guitar, maybe Gretsch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to grab up on a bright sounding guitar, maybe Gretsch?

Hi Guys,
    So I'm looking to grab up on a nice bright, open, and isn't too thin type of guitar. I'm a huge Foo Fighters fan and I love their more trebly rhythm and lead tones. I've got the single coils covered so I was looking for either something with mini hums or full size hums, semi/hollow or at least chambered body.

A couple of guitars I liked were the Gretsch Electromatics (g5122DC, Pro Jet w/ Bigsby), MIM Tele Deluxe, and PRS SE Semi-Hollow. It seems out of all of those that the Gretsches do the best job for what I'm looking for.

Before I pull the trigger on anything though I figured I'd ask if anyone had any suggestions?

I'm playing through a Vox AC15C1 and Vox AC4TV10

Budget 700-800$
    Last edited by lank81; 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM.

Re: Looking to grab up on a bright sounding guitar, maybe Gretsch?

Yes, you nailed it.
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

+1 For a Gretsch Electromatic!
      Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

yes, the gretsch will do that. what's your budget though?

Comment

something with p90s?
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

A good Rickenbacker...
            - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
            Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
            The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

P90s always seem like an option. Not sure if I'll go that route or not. They had a few guitars with P90s in them (not semi/hollow) but SGs/LPs. I'll give them a shot tomorrow probably.

As for budget I'd like to keep it in 700-800$ range I put in the OP but I could go up to 1k if need be but rather not.

Comment

"Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Played a couple more guitars today, some sounded great but didn't feel great, or vice versa. Narrowed it down to the MIM Tele Deluxe and Gretsch 5122DC but in the end decided to go with the use MIM Tele Deluxe - It was Used, 300$ cheaper, nice brightness in the bridge, and felt a little better in my hands. He's setting it up and putting strings on for free so I'll be getting it tomorrow afternoon. I'll post some pics when I do get it.

Only thing I think I might do is change out the neck WRHB with a P-90 (HB Size).

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Cool man!

When in doubt, Tele out!
                    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Telecaster, FTW!
                      -
                      My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Working...
                      X