Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help in choosing the first Gibson Les Paul

Hello!
    I've always been playing different Fender guitars, especially Teles an Strats. But now I would like to have a Gibson LP also, and I don't know where to start.

Of course, I'm not going to buy a super expensive LP for the first time, but I don't want to get a cheesy one either.

The model that seems suitable to me according to it's price is Studio Faded LP: http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/CHF/G...GIT0022935-000

But I see rather contradictory reviews about this model.

Is it worth buying as the first LP? Or is it better to wait, and to grab Standart or Traditional LP?

Thanks a lot!
    Fender Electric XII (1966), Fender Villager (1967), Fender Shenandoah (1967), Fender Strat XII (2003), Fender CD140S-12 (2008), Fender Tele Am. Dlx (2005), Fender Std Tele (1992), Squier Affinity Tele (2008), Ovation Pacemaker (1977)

Re: Need help in choosing the first Gibson Les Paul

That is a great choice, as are the Tributes. The more expensive models are fine, but with them, you are paying a lot more money for features/specs that are generally not of any great musical importance. You are paying for binding, high-gloss finishes, figured maple, and maybe different electronics. Worth it to some, and not worth it to others.

With the Studio Faded, you get the meat of what a humbucker-equipped, carved-top LP is, and not much more. With the Tribute, you get the meat of what a soapbar-equipped LP is, and not much more. Pick your poison: humbucker or P90.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-21-2012, 03:00 AM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Just make sure you play it first, before you buy it, if you plan on ordering it. Make sure the one you're getting is not a dud.
      Originally posted by jmh151
      I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
      Originally posted by jeremy
      like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
      Originally posted by grumptruck
      Media only reports on what the sheeple wanna see/hear/read.
      Sometimes not read.
      dats hard

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
        With the Studio Faded, you get the meat of what a humbucker-equipped, carved-top LP is, and not much more. With the Tribute, you get the meat of what a soapbar-equipped LP is, and not much more. Pick your poison: humbucker or P90.
        I would like to have humbuckers or minihumbuckers. But I would like to try the basic version first though.
        Fender Electric XII (1966), Fender Villager (1967), Fender Shenandoah (1967), Fender Strat XII (2003), Fender CD140S-12 (2008), Fender Tele Am. Dlx (2005), Fender Std Tele (1992), Squier Affinity Tele (2008), Ovation Pacemaker (1977)

Comment

Originally posted by SamusChief View Post
          Just make sure you play it first, before you buy it, if you plan on ordering it. Make sure the one you're getting is not a dud.
          I'm afraid, I won't be able to do that. I have other studios near by me, with hums or P90s, but not this very model.

Comment

Sounds like you have selected the model that best fits your criteria. Finding a good one will be the issue. You must have some big music shops in Moscow, right?
            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Sure, we have many big music shops, but they don't carry any Studio Faded Models. I don't know the reason for that. They have Studio, Studio Tribute '50s, Studio Tribute '60s, Studio Classic & Deluxe models, and on.

And yes - I've been searching for the model that would fit my criteria. This is the cheapest variant, others will cost twice more expensive, and I'm not sure I'm ready to buy a Traditional model right now.

Sounds like you have selected the model that best fits your criteria. Finding a good one will be the issue. You must have some big music shops in Moscow, right?

Comment

If you have Gibson dealers there, you can just ask them why they don't carry that model. Say you want to buy one and ask them to get a couple in. They may say no, but it won't hurt, and that is their loss anyhow.
                Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Yaeh, thanks. I think, I'll talk to the dealer first, and then try to decide

If you have Gibson dealers there, you can just ask them why they don't carry that model. Say you want to buy one and ask them to get a couple in. They may say no, but it won't hurt, and that is their loss anyhow.

Comment

The cheaper a Gibson is the more important it is to actually play it before buying. Variance in anything faded is great, and Studios can also be all over the place.

If you want to mailorder a well sounding LP you have better chances with an older MIJ (Burny, Greco etc).

Comment

Yes, thanks, I was also thinking about MIJ LP clones, but Gibson is the premier goal.

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                      The cheaper a Gibson is the more important it is to actually play it before buying. Variance in anything faded is great, and Studios can also be all over the place.

If you want to mailorder a well sounding LP you have better chances with an older MIJ (Burny, Greco etc).

Comment

Well just be careful.

You can say whatever you want about the good ones but Gibson is one of the most inconsistent guitar brands around. If you want to mailorder I wouldn't get anything less than a LP classic (basically a plaintop LP Standard).

Comment

I've owned quite a few Les Pauls, and I would highly recommend you save your money for something with a harder finish.

The satin ones are cheap for a reason. They don't offer the same protection as the others. You'll find yourself with banged up wood, excessive wear, etc. Who wants that when you're spending $600+

Like others have said, The Traditionals, Studio Deluxe, Classic, or even standard Studio gloss is better.
                          AccountKiller

Comment

If you can find it, a studio deluxe is a great choice. Has all the characteristics of a standard minus the binding (but it does have that faux binding, natural wood binding). Swiss cheese - 9 hole relief instead of chambered
                            Originally posted by grumptruck
                            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                            Originally posted by Gear Used
                            PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                            Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                            Mesa Stiletto Ace
                            Gurus 5015
                            Mesa Widebody 1X12
                            Pedalboard

Comment

Yes, quite a lot of studio deluxe guitars, I'll have no problems with them.

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
                              If you can find it, a studio deluxe is a great choice. Has all the characteristics of a standard minus the binding (but it does have that faux binding, natural wood binding). Swiss cheese - 9 hole relief instead of chambered

Comment

Working...
                              X