Strat tweak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat tweak

I put some true single coils back in my strat a couple of months ago and have been loving the tone... except for that pesky bridge pickup. It was just too bright and thin for my tastes and wasn't getting used live, so I threw a humbucker in the bridge spot again.

I also got a pickguard with only two control holes, master volume/master tone. I'll eventually make both push/pull pots so I can 1) split the bridge pickup (for bridge/middle use) and 2) turn the bridge pickup on anytime.

Much, much better. Now I feel like all five positions are usable. Single coils are D'Allen "JM 60s RnB", humbucker is a DiMarzio Air Classic.
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Re: Strat tweak

Cool.. glad your happy with it. Me.... well I never really like buckers in Strats.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
      Cool.. glad your happy with it. Me.... well I never really like buckers in Strats.
      Me either.....If it's working and you're happy...Awesome!
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Hell yeah man. Good move. I never get on with SSS either.

Also, interesting to read up on those D'Allen JM 60's RnB.
        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

The Air Classic seems to be a good fit in this guitar. It's fairly low output, so it's right in line with the single coils. Plus it still has a lot of bite and clarity, just with more low end than the bridge single had. Here's a crappy clip of me trying to cop some Lincoln Brewster, low volume through a modeler but you can get a basic idea.

Last edited by FretFire; 03-21-2012, 11:32 AM.
          After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Sounds like it's working pretty f*cking well to me!
            my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Nice. The Air Classic is sweet being a fellow user of it, I can definitely see the appeal when matching it with single-coils. Sounds great to me.

Comment

I like!

Comment

Nothing wrong with a little HSS Strat action man, rock it out, sounds great. Also, nothing wrong with some Lincoln either!
                  "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Comment

If you ever wanted to go back to the SSS setup I recommend the Twang-Banger. It has a good amount of umph to make the bridge position sound great.

Comment

Sounds great man! I love that song too! Thats on my lists of some to learn soon.
                      Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Yeah.. I've got a Fralin SP43 in the bridge, supposed to be a pretty good P90 approximation in a SC housing, but it ain't really doing too much for me.. Think I'm gonna go with a humbucker as well.
                        My Soundclick

Comment

Working...
                        X