self-loosening truss rod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• self-loosening truss rod?

I picked up my Tele for teh first time in about a month last night and noticed that the action was horrible. Took a look at it and found the neck has about 1/8 - 5/32" bow in it! Now, I know that changes in climate can affect the set up on a guitar, but to get that much bow in the neck in a months time leads me to believe I might have a problem. I gave it a 1/4 turn last night, and will continue to do so until it gets straight. Then I guess all I can do is wait and see if the rod holds up, but this is crazy. Am I worried about nothing here, or do I have a legitiment problem on my hands? 1/8" in a month just seems like a lot for the neck to give in that short amount of time.
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Re: self-loosening truss rod?

What's the weather been like in Cinci lately?
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I haven't had one truss rod that loosened on its own.

I attribute any changes to temperature changes, which seem worse this time of year.

definitely wait several days between tweaks. You might want to consider having someone look at it.
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

Mike, I'm just above you in Detroit and take my word for it, it's the weather. As it gets cold outside and the furnaces come on and the houses dry out, you neck will move on you. Just adjust the relief and you'll be good to go.

Expect to do the opposite next spring.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I'll just be cautious with it. Living in Cinci I've grown very accustommed to adjusting truss rods with the change in season, but I have never seen a truss rod move that much. It may simply be the nature of the tele, because none of my other guitars have ever done this this badly. This will also be my Tele's first winter, so maybe I ought to just keep an eye on it.

Thanks guys.
          Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Being a newer guitar may have had something to do with it. I find my mahogany necks move around more than my maple necks, but they all need adjustments this time of year. If Cinci is simular to Detroit, the temp and humidity have changed a lot in the last 30 days.

Just tighten that sucker up and let it rip. While the neck may have moved quite a bit, it's nothing unusual in this part of the country.
            www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
            www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
            http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Like others have said, when guitars sit in rooms that are colder nowadays, compared to summertime, you'll need to tweak the truss accordingly. After getting the neck playing perfect, go back and check the intonation, because you may need to make some very slight saddle adjustments as well.

I noticed a truss rod problem on some of the Ibanez guitars with the slimmest necks....'wizard necks?' In some cases, the truss rods run out of adjustment without correcting a concave or convex neck. Besides hand fatique, that's the other reason why skinny necks aren't too desireable....they fall out of adjustment sooner.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I think it's the weather. I notice that in the Cold California Winter (40 degrees or so), my Floyds all go sharp. I never really noticed if my truss rods are bowing more or less, though. I suppose it's possible- Cinci probably has more sever temperature swings from Summer to Winter. Tweak it all you want- just remember that in 6 months, you'll have to un-tweak whatever you did!
                Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
                ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
                ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
                ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
                ESP KH-1
                LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
                BC Rich KKV
                Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
                Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                  What's the weather been like in Cinci lately?

Exactly!

I'm in DC, and two days ago on the news the weatherman said that the dew point was near 0 Fahrenheit, which would lead to indoor relative humidity of 9%!

I'm sure Cincinatti is the same way with this massive cold spell the eastern US has had.
                  This machine kills fascists

Comment

Weather!

Here in Quebec, it is even worst! I had trouble keeping both my LP and Strat in perfect shape during the last weeks.... lots of temperature change here.... -16 oF yesterday and again this morning.. and it should change to 42 oF tonite or tomorrow...
                    Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

I've noticed my necks went out of whack this week too!

Comment

Working...
                      X