Which Axe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Axe?

So for Christmas I will be getting atleast 400 bucks from my family and I have about 150ish dollars saved up. I have been looking at guitars in this price range and I am stuck between 3 guitars Hamer Standard (explorer shape comes with duncans already, import model), LTD Viper 400, and a Dillion Les Paul Copy. The Dillion would need pickup change but I would hold off for a month or two. If you had to choose from those 3 which would you pick and why? I have tested all 3 and love all 3, I am leaning toward the Hamer but just wanted to see what you guys thought about the other selections.

Fender MIM Strat (Hot Rails)
    Squier P-Bass
    Hamer Standard (import)

Re: Which Axe?

Do you have an opportunity to play all of them?
    Defender of the Sonic faith.

Gibson SG Faded

Carvin Vintage 16 amp

http://www.lp.org

Comment

Yeah I have tested them all, I just wanted to see if any forum members can give me any thoughts so I can go re-evaluate the guitars.

Squier P-Bass
      Hamer Standard (import)

Comment

the ESP viper BY FAR. The Dillion is alright, but it will need a fret job also.

Comment

I like Hamer Standards. I still think that they put a lot of work into their instruments. Plus, I'm a sucker for that Explorer shape.
          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Of the three, I've only ever played the ESP. It's a really nice guitar that yields a thicker, heavier sound than you think it would what with it being SG-like in body. I'd get that one if I were you.
            Gibson SG Standard (498T/498R)
            Schecter C-1 Elite (Custom/59)
            Fender Deluxe Double Fat Strat (Carvin SD22/M22N)
            Yamaha FG-413S acoustic
            Marshall G15CDR
            Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
            Marshall 1960A
            Boss ME-50
            ...and just a little talent.

Comment

I dig the Vipers, and Hamers are supposed to be pretty good. Never played one though. Have you thought about buying used? You often get more bang for the buck buying used.

Comment

Is the Viper the SG style ESP?

I played one recently. Nice playing instrument...just never cared much for SG's, and don't care for the EMG pups either, personally.

I'd prolly go w/ the Hamer myself..it's got better (IMO) pups, and I too am a sucker for the Explorer shape (not to mention it's a very comfy guitar to play)
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Thanks for the Imput guys, I am going to go try them all out again in a couple of days. The Standard will most likely be my choice, if I ever get gas for a sg type guitar I'll buy one of those 200 dollar epiphone ones and mod it up as a project.

Squier P-Bass
                  Hamer Standard (import)

Comment

My choice, even though you may have already made up your mind, would be the ESP viper.
                    Good enough for Bruce Kulick, good enough for me.
                    Rock On
                    ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                    2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                    Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Working...
                    X