Interesting Epi Dot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Epi Dot

Rewired an Epi Dot for my drummer yesterday...

First let me say that after polishing the frets and a set up this guitar plays VERY well...surprising to be honest.

Also worth mentioning the dimensions of this era Epi Dot are SO close to my 67 ES-335...unlike the newer Dots I've seen that bare little in common with a real ES-3X5.

Anyway, the mods were done to this guitar already but the wiring had gotten a little wonky and the jack had come loose so it needed to be rewired, cleaned up and tweaked but I thought I'd share it with you guys.

The bridge pickup was replaced with a Gibson 489t, which is a bit hot for my tastes but an improvement over the stock Epi bucker I'm sure and the neck pickup has been replaced with a Burns Tri Sonic in an adapter plate at an angle then an added Bigsby.

Both pickups are seeing a 500k volume and tone pot and the balance is surprisingly good...the bridge pickup has a nice midrange peak to it and a bit of compression under a heavy pick attack that sort of blooms into a nice sustain while the neck pickup has a killer hollow thing going on with sort of a strat meets P-90 vibe to it...the first time I played on the neck it reminded me of Aerosmith Mama Kin from their first album...killer tone for crunchy rhythm parts and with the gain cranked up sort of a soaring thing happens.

Anyway...on to the pics...

Also worth mentioning he added a set of Grover Auto Lock rotomatics...I LOVE THEE KEYS!!!

They are the best, easiest to use locking key I've tried yet!

If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: Interesting Epi Dot

Do you know when it was made?
    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Very cool ideas. Love the look as well.

-dave
      I don't believe anything I say and only half of what you hear....

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
        Do you know when it was made?
        April 1997
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
          April 1997
          Thanks, I'll keep an eye out...
          "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
            Thanks, I'll keep an eye out...
            It's a Samick built Epi...soild axe for sure.

If it were mine I'd gut all the electronics but he doesn't gig, just uses the guitar for writing and demos so it's fine for sure but with new pots, switch and your choice of pickups it'd be a great gigging guitar!

Comment

I do not envy you pulling those pots out for soldering. The Samick and MIJ Epiphones were good. I have read the Chinese productin is improving.
              Great trades/transactions with checo, kjrocks (2x), ginoames (2x), guitarkid (2x), Ed Hunter, primo (2x), apar111, blueman335, King IzzO))), ArtieToo, lemonman, saladin, SAVAGE DISTORTION, surface54, and DonP. Excellent forum bros!

Comment

I both love and hate working on other people's guitars. I love playing them after I've dialed them in, then wish I owned them!
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by atreidesheir View Post
                  I do not envy you pulling those pots out for soldering. The Samick and MIJ Epiphones were good. I have read the Chinese productin is improving.
                  I've rewired several dozen F hole guitars over the years, no big deal pulling out the pots and putting them back in, only takes a few minutes. I've posted a few times on how I do it.

I have a recent production Chinese Dot, in natural with a dark mahogany neck, thick 1950's style. Great guitar. Put a pair of Seth's in it.
                  "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                  X