Cost of respray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of respray

Anyone know how much it would cost to have a guitar's body resprayed in Candy Apple with like most of the old paint already removed?

Even better any places in the UK which would do this?

I'm fine with the usual spray can job if it would cost too much.

Cheers
    Last edited by spleenharvester; 05-28-2012, 03:04 PM.

Re: Cost of respray

It's the labor that you're paying for, and the removal of the old paint won't be cheap. I've seen most places in the USA charging $200-$300 for refinishing, and that's with a lot of competition around.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

If you're ok with a rattle can finish just do that and save your money...

A quality refin will range anywhere from $250 to $1250 and up for a body.
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

For something like candy apple red, there's more to it than just spraying paint on. It's a metallic paint so the coats have to go on just right so the flakes sit right, dryer than you would spray on with solid colors, then several coats of clear with some good buffing.

For a finish like that, or any metallic finish, I'd have a pro do it so it comes out right.
        Last edited by ErikH; 05-28-2012, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Hmm, what would you guys say is the best plan of action then?

Basically I may be buying a guitar that has the paint stripped but the headstock still in candy apple. I'm not bothered about an amazing finish just as long as the thing looks half decent.

Should I do a spray can job myself? Get someone else to do it?

Comment

Get someone else to do it if you have to go with that color.

Comment

Send it to me, I work in a body shop so I can paint it any color you want.
              LTD M-50 W/ AHB-1 Blackouts.
              Thinline W/GFS Classic II
              Soloist W/Duncan Detonator
              LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
              Blackstar HT5-H.
              Custom 112 cab W/G12 75T.

Comment

Bumping, insanely late I know and I'm sorry for not having gotten back to people.

A friend of mine has said he could do a respray for the cost of £25. He resprays a lot of guitars for people at my college. I think he has a spray rig but I'm not 100% sure - all I know is the cost for the candy apple + lacquer material is £8 each where he gets it from. Is this likely to make for a half decent job? I've seen some of his other stuff in pictures and it looks pretty nice.

I'm not too concerned with it looking 100% fantastic provided I go ahead with buying the guitar, anything half decent would do really.

Was also considering just removing paint from the headstock too and having bare wood with something done to it (oil rub I think it's called? I see it often but don't know the name) But the body is Basswood and I'm not sure it would look fantastic.

Comment

around here, the pro luthier/tech shops charge around $200-500 for a full finishing in nitro lacquer - for an unfinished body. Might be a bit more if it's a refinish.

is a 25 pound job likely to be as good? Who can say... It might be decent. Probably won't be pro though.

Comment

I don't know a whole lot about the cost. But, it seems to me, considering the costs I'm hearing I'd as soon by a new finished body from Warmouth and keep the old one for another project.

Comment

Originally posted by BEACHBUM View Post
                      I don't know a whole lot about the cost. But, it seems to me, considering the costs I'm hearing I'd as soon by a new finished body from Warmouth and keep the old one for another project.
                      warmoth wants 220 bucks just for the candy finishes not sure how thats saving any money on top of the cost of a body. What advantage is there to not use the body you already have?
                      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
                      X