50s neck on a LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 50s neck on a LP

I find that a thicker neck corrects my fretting hand angle quite a bit because of the filled gap between palm/thumb/neck, and another thing ive realized with guitar is that with patience you can train yourself to play very well on any half decent neck, there are just certain things that are healthier and I believe a fuller neck is one of them.
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

I'm partial to chunky necks. The Gibson 50s neck is great. I also like chunky Tele necks. FWIW, I have average to large size hands for a woman.

Comment

I don't like chunky anything...

Thin neck, thin waist, slender thighs, wide (not chuncky) hips, moderately sized boobs.

Oh, wait...we were talking about guitars?? Sorry, I got distracted.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
          +1. That's what Lindy Fralin says. I think you're better off with the thickest neck you can play comfortably. I don't see the obsession with thin necks and low actions. Bunch of girly men!
          It's all about middle ground, man. Just as there is too fat, there's also too thin. I can't get along with superchunky necks, but the Ibanez Wizards don't stroke me right either.

EDIT: Actually, I'm curious about something. If anybody other than me (in this thread) has a 50's necked LP, would you pleace measure the thickness and then post it here? I'm wondering just how much play there is when it comes to neck shapes, esp since there seems to be quite a wide span of sizes that somehow qualify as 50's necks over at Gibson.
          For empirical reasons, I'd say measure right behind the 12th fret (unless someone has a better idea?).
          Last edited by Coma; 06-01-2012, 08:29 AM.
          --------------------------------------------------------
          1973 Aria 551
          1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
          1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
          1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
          1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
          2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Working...
          X