banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

strat users - only 2 springs if not using the bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strat users - only 2 springs if not using the bar?

Anyone non-bar using strat players just 2 springs with the claw screwed all the way in for your setup?

I'm not really a trem user, and currently have my strat set up with 5 springs and decked with 11-49's. Thinking of going back down to 10's for a more slinky/greasy stratty feel and only using 2 springs, but keeping the claw pulled in. (regular springs, not the Raw Vintage ones w/ the looser tension).

When I first put this strat together it had 9's, 2 springs and just barely decked (enough so it wouldn't go flat on double stop bends), and I want to head back in that general direction for the feel on this strat.

Do you think I'm going to lose anything substantial in the sound by using less springs if the bridge is still decked (albeit barely)?
    "I shall allow this GAS bubble to pass, a mere fart in time." - Aceman

Re: strat users - only 2 springs if not using the bar?

Originally posted by appar111 View Post
    Anyone non-bar using strat players just 2 springs with the claw screwed all the way in for your setup?

I'm not really a trem user, and currently have my strat set up with 5 springs and decked with 11-49's. Thinking of going back down to 10's for a more slinky/greasy stratty feel and only using 2 springs, but keeping the claw pulled in. (regular springs, not the Raw Vintage ones w/ the looser tension).

When I first put this strat together it had 9's, 2 springs and just barely decked (enough so it wouldn't go flat on double stop bends), and I want to head back in that general direction for the feel on this strat.

Do you think I'm going to lose anything substantial in the sound by using less springs if the bridge is still decked (albeit barely)?
    This all describes me. I love the tone and feel of my strat with 2 springs and no bar.
    Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
    I dig the wood!

Comment

With the tension from 10's and 11's, you may need 3 springs minimum. That's with the claw screwed in almost all the way. Any less and the string tension could lift the bridge off the body.

Comment

^^What he said.
        "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

that's what I was wondering-- depends on if I screw the claw truly all the way in, and how stiff those springs are.

I'll try it w/ 10's and see where it gets me. Worse case is I add the 3rd spring and pull the claw back out a bit to keep the trem flat on the body and still get similar spring tension as I would've gotten w/ 9's and 2 springs.

Comment

If you have the trem decked (block is flat against the body) it doesn't really matter how many springs you use.

I've never used less than three personally, and I don't really get the point.
            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Tried 10's at Eb with 2 springs and no dice-- still floated even with the claw all the way in.

3 springs and the claw backed out, and I'm golden, even with the 10-46's at pitch. Left it tight enough so that I can get those slight Neil Young-ish chord falling sound, but the bar's fairly stiff. This is fine as I don't want adjacent strings to go flat when doing double stops.

Feels much more "stratty" now. Haven't even plugged in yet, but I'm confident it will sound more stratty with 10's than it did w/ 11's.

Comment

With 10s, and no bar, I keep it flat and with 5 springs. I do lot's of big bends and don't want adjacent strings going flat. With 9s, I could be tempted to go with just three springs.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

If you don't use the Trem, then why are you concerned with the spring tension? Just put a block behind the bridge and be done with it!
                  "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Only time I have seen 2 springs is on KK downings strats with 8s, and slightly lifted off the body.

Probably feels great like a.PRS trem, but wouldnt work for me.

FWIW, I went from decked 5 springs to 3, and the only thing that changed was the sound of the springs reverberating..now it doesnt. Before there was a very perceptible rattle of the springs. I do on occasion use the bar for hank marvinish type vibrato, but thats about it.
                    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Last night I restrung my Focus 2000 with 10's and while tuning up, forgot that I had 2 springs in it. It was strung with 9's and that's all it needed though 3 would have been OK too. I had to back out the claw and add another spring to keep it from lifting. I wondered at first why it kept going flat while tuning...LOL. It feels really good with 10's on it. It's got a OFR too.

Comment

Sorry.

I don't know where my head was at. I meant 3 springs. I use 3 springs, claw all the way in, and no bar.
                        I dig the wood!

Comment

I am on 10's with 3 springs, the trem flat against the body and I use it occasionally to bring pitch down... but it's rare these days... I find I am using it less and less which I thin is weird...
                          "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Comment

no bar used on my strat. strung up with 10's, tremolo flush mounted and 5 springs! lovely sustain and full tone
                            2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
                            Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
                            Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Originally posted by JordanM82 View Post
                              I am on 10's with 3 springs, the trem flat against the body and I use it occasionally to bring pitch down... but it's rare these days... I find I am using it less and less which I thin is weird...
                              Hell yeah! 10s with 3 springs!

I dig the wood!

Comment

Working...
                              X