how to roll the sharp edges off a neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to roll the sharp edges off a neck

My bocote neck just arrived from warmoth, i installed, intonated, got it playing great.

1 problem- the edges of the frets slice my hand when i do chords. How to i 'roll the edges' accurately and safely? I've seen the fret beveling tool before, but i want to 'round off' the edge as opposed to just filing it flat at an angle
    Last edited by Quencho092; 06-07-2012, 10:42 AM.
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Re: how to roll the sharp edges off a neck

Sanding block.

Comment

what grit sandpaper? I'm afraid that with a sanding block it will take off more ebony than steel
      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

so what grit sandpaper do i get to smooth the edges of stainless steel?

Using sandpaper and a small wooden block i can hit JUST THE FRETS, if i use a foam sandblock it will eat up more ebony than steel and ill end up going backwards from where i want to be.

Comment

Hard block with a lift at the leading edge and 400 is what I've used. There shouldn't be much to take down, it's more of a polishing job. You should be able to follow the angle on the frets down until you just start to round the fretboard edge. You don't need to take much off to make a difference in how it feels.

Comment

man thanks a million! So 400 grit, hard block!

My index finger is getting chewed up a bit from rehearsing

Comment

As a general purpose tool for tidying up fret ends, these are really good - fret leveller, but if you really want to finish the ends off nicely, I don't think they come any better than this - Fret End Dressing File
              Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Comment

Dressing the fret ends with that tool would be real nice to. I just use steel wool, seems to work OK so far. I'm so ghetto.

Comment

That fret end dressing file is good. I just use a small flat file (slightly larger than the end dresser) and it works great. Then I finish with 360-600 grit wet-or-dry (wrapped around the file) to polish slick as snot.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

man that 1000 grit paper made the back of this bocote neck into silk. Im so in love right now. I'm playing a gig from 6-midnight! Will be exhausting but fun with this luxury piece!

I got some jeweler's files from a hardware store in diff shapes and very fine. Looks like it will do the job, tomorrow i will be filing, then pics and clips!

Comment

Working...
                      X