Ash or alder strat shape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash or alder strat shape?

Is fender the only way to go under $1000?

A buddy of mine is looking for a strat shape doesn't actually want a strat.

There's plenty of stuff out there but it's all mahogany and I'm guessing he just wants something different.

Re: Ash or alder strat shape?

Originally posted by dreadguard268 View Post
    A buddy of mine is looking for a strat shape doesn't actually want a strat.
    Umm... wut?
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Like a Schecter c1, ibanez rg, ESP horizon, etc etc.

Comment

Either of the woods will do well, depending on what music he plays. Alder's pretty much the "good for everything" wood, though. If it's more hard rock than heavy metal, ash would be good.
        "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Used G&L's are often within that price range. Invader for the factory Super Strat thing, Legacy, S-500, etc. for the plain Strat or hot-rodded plain Strat thing. (A Comanche is probably out of the price range or just barely within it, even on the used market.) Check the Website for all the various models made so you know what to look for. Check out used Tributes too. They are very good for the money.

As for alder or ash, I think that it is not an enormous difference, and either can sound great. That said, there is a difference, and if I could choose every detail, I'd always go for the snappy midranginess and great feel of ash. But I don't think twice if a Strat I otherwise love happens to have an alder body...and alder is the classic Strat sound, as not all that many were made of swamp ash "back in the day." There were a few early years of ash, then all alder except for certain custom-ordered transparent finishes.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-08-2012, 06:24 AM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I'm guessing that he doesn't want the Strat's pickguard look.

There's plenty of Jacksons that have alder bodies, or maybe Charvel?

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

And there's always the classic "roll your own from Warmoth" with a rear rout...
              "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Working...
              X