Fair price for a WHUPPED 84 Explorer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair price for a WHUPPED 84 Explorer?

I love the 84 explorers or ESP explorers.. GC has an 84 thats pretty beat up, and nearly fretless that they want $799. Crack attack or what? My most desired Gibson explorer would be a black one with no pg and binding like Lita Ford played, but I dont know the year or model designation..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Fair price for a WHUPPED 84 Explorer?

Lita played a Hamer Standard, but I'm sure she also had a custom Gibby at some point.

Typically the 83-85 Explorers had rear-routed guts, but also came with Kahlers, and in some funky finishes.

I had one and it was nearly fretless, but that's how that series was made.

Mine was also alder with a maple neck.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
      Lita played a Hamer Standard, but I'm sure she also had a custom Gibby at some point.

Typically the 83-85 Explorers had rear-routed guts, but also came with Kahlers, and in some funky finishes.

I had one and it was nearly fretless, but that's how that series was made.

Mine was also alder with a maple neck.
      Spot on. Find some pics of Lita...search Runaways Lita Ford or Lita Ford Hamer. She had a black one and a white one and they were definitely Hamers. Even if you can't see the name on the hs, the straight control layout, poker chip on the selector, binding, and trapazoid inlays call them out as such.

Also: I know some people love them but those mid 80s Explorers were bottom of the barrel. That's just IMHO, of course. I'd take a MIJ copy in a heartbeat over the genuine article, if those years were my only choice.

Comment

Lita Ford's black "Explorer" was a Standard model, by Hamer.

You might want to look for a used Explorer Traditional Pro, or maybe one of the import Hamer Standards in black if you want to go cheap. I almost bought one of the Trad Pros in black before I found my white '06 for $600 locally. I played one and really liked it a lot. Felt like a good and well made guitar. (Yes, Gibson does still make some.)
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Not sure what model but one of my local GC's has black gibson Ex with a green pickguard on it for 499....if I was right handed I would snag it...

Check out the GC in Allen Park Michigans inventory online to see if they still have it bro...I'd like someone on the forum to snag it....

Comment

Is that an actual 1984 made one?

Low frets can be leveled some more. I'd go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
              I love the 84 explorers or ESP explorers.. GC has an 84 thats pretty beat up, and nearly fretless that they want $799. Crack attack or what? My most desired Gibson explorer would be a black one with no pg and binding like Lita Ford played, but I dont know the year or model designation..
              Have you played one? Playability was fine, but they sound like poo IMO. Back in 2000 I briefly considered trading my '96 for an '84 to lose the pickguard, and in hindsight I'm glad the deal fell through. My '96 sounds great IMO while the '84 sounded really thin and nasal. At the time I chalked this up to pickups, but I know better now. The only '84 Explorer I'd ever consider is one of the GOTW 84 RIs from 2007.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                Lita Ford's black "Explorer" was a Standard model, by Hamer.

You might want to look for a used Explorer Traditional Pro, or maybe one of the import Hamer Standards in black if you want to go cheap. I almost bought one of the Trad Pros in black before I found my white '06 for $600 locally. I played one and really liked it a lot. Felt like a good and well made guitar. (Yes, Gibson does still make some.)
                Thanks all for the info! Yeah, I was really GASSING for one of the trad pros when they came out. just wish they were the full size.. I really like the V too
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Some of those mid 80 s explorers were made of alder. Youve been warned.

I had a pewter colored model that I bought new from Gibson thru my dealer in 1988. But it was an 05, IIRC. Must have been backstock they had laying around. 2 DFs, mid 80 s control layout, no guard and a HUGE neck. Best production explorer I ever owned, barring an actual 1976 reissue. Outsustained the 3 les pauls and PRS custom I had at the time. Glorious guitar. Ran a SH5 and 59 in it.
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

thanks for the warning.. Im not getting it. Im broke as %#$@% and surely cant swing that kinda money. And I wouldnt for the shape its in. It did play nice, even tho the frets were so worn or just plain flat...

Jol Dantzig

Comment

799 should be able to get you a nice, recent 76 (or whatever they're calling them, now) Explorer. Maybe a couple dings and some wear, but all there. Even less if it's beat up and I consider the 76 RIs, all of them, to be infinitely better guitars than the alder, guardless models from the mid 80s.

Comment

yeah, my thoughts exactly.. I like the no PG look, but not worth that. Perhaps, Ill save my pennies for a hamer standard....

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                        X