Reevaluating my ideas on fret size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reevaluating my ideas on fret size

I was of the onion that jumbo frets were necessary for my playing style, till I recently discovered I also like small frets too.

I now realaze now that radius is the most important thing, and Im selling some necks of mine to get necks that are 12" radius, as that seems to be the magic radius where full bending is facilitated, which is of primary importance to me.
    Small frets play really fast, and I like that btu I'm not sure yet they can everything the bigger frets do as far as some kinds of action like pull offs and stuff, so I'm not sure , but I doubt really small frets are the way to go yet.
    maybe you can't expect one fret size to be best at everything, IDK.

As far as radius, Definitely 12" or possibly a 10-12 compound seems like the best radius , although a flatter radius is preferable on a guitar like my Jackson with the big frets.
    In general a 12" like Gibson seems to do most types of stuff the best, especially chording up the neck and fast blues rock style leads. Not positive.

Thoughts on this?
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Reevaluating my ideas on fret size

Any radius 6 to 16 and any fret works for me...

I have decided in the past year or so that I just don't care about junk like this.

If the fret is above the fingerboard I'm happy and if it frets out due to a high radius I just jack the action up a tad...I've got far more important things to do other than stress over fret size and fingerboard radius.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Fret size don't bother me much. I tend to stay away from anything under a 10" radius though. Anything rounder than that, I have a hard time getting the action where I want it and still be playable. I really like the Warmoth compound 10" to 16" radius with the symmetric neck profile.
      Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Got a 9.5-14 radius that is just fantastic. Perfer it to 12.
        Anything I post is based on first hand experience.

Comment

Any radius between 9.5 and 12 works best for me. I have a guitar with a 14 inch radius and one with a 12-14 compound that is also nice.

For the most part 12 is my favorite.

I like a tall and narrow fret but really dont let it bother me much.
          Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Big frets & a flat board just feel right to me, beyond that I could care less.

Comment

I like small frets. 6230's are a-ok by me.

I don't mind medium jumbos also, but jumbo frets feel like I'm playing on mountain tops. weird.

As far as radii, I prefer 12 to 14", but I can make do with a 9.5" if necessary.

Comment

I pretty much get along with most frets. Not a huge fan of a flat board, but it's not a big deal.

Comment

I lean towards TGWIF's opinion, though I do like a little radii. Doesn't seem so long ago when we had no choice.

I'd rather make sure I get Stainless or EVO than be particular about size.

Comment

HUGE frets. The bigger, the better. I'd take stainless 6000s on everything I own, if I had that kinda scratch. What doesn't matter to me is the radius and, within reason, the action. I'm fine with medium high, though acoustic high is something else, entirely, all the way down to whisper-low. Hell, I even like a bit of fret buzz, sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                    X