banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The old man almost crapped himself yesterday!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The old man almost crapped himself yesterday!!!

For sure, man. Sorry that he turned out that way.

Comment

Well, I take it back. I totally understand after that story about the Martin and what have you! No offense, but the fellow sounds like he has some serious behavioral issues that need professional mental care. He won't ever get any better if he is kept from falling flat on his face. Harsh, but very true IME. Enabling him to continue pulling stunts on the family will only make him worse. There comes a point when you have to just start saying "hell no" to people for their own good. Good on your wife. She knows what's up. Keep listening to her and being dead honest with your brother. My two cents.
      Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-15-2012, 02:28 AM.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
        Boogie Bill, it's certainly devalued, but by $2,000? The whole guitar probably isn't reliably worth a whole lot more than that.
        Well, here's my thought on that.

Les Pauls from 1978 are not rare, by any means. But lately, I'm seeing nice, well-cared for Customs from this era getting up into the mid $4000 range, as they become "vintage".

Yes, he can get it fixed, and depending on the skill of the luthier and the type of break, it could be a nearly invisible. But it will still be a Les Paul with a broken headstock. Some buyers wouldn't care if a Gibson has a broken headstock (I have two Supremes with breaks), while most player would prefer to have one that is unbroken. Since there are quite a few of this model out there for sale, a guitar with a headstock break is going to be treated severely in the market place.

A truly vintage piece, like an original '59 Sunburst, with a h/s break will hardly be discounted, as the vintage bursts are so rare. But with so many of the Seventies-era guitars available, a buyer can be more selective, and that will drive the price down on broken guitars.

A lot depends on the area, but I can make a case that this broken Custom has been heavily de-valued.

BTW and FYI--your homeowner's insurance policy MAY cover an incident like this, but not likely. If you've EVER made money with your gear, many insurers will consider it personal business property and not cover the loss. Check with your agent--you may need a special rider, or a specific insurance policy to cover your instruments and your gear. Look for an "all-risk", world-wide policy. You'll want to have the instrument covered no matter where you go--for fire, theft, flood, quake, tornado, etc.--for any risk, including "unnamed perils".

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

You should send him to Saudi and make him work it off as Chris's new man servant. Bwahahahaha

Comment

I would call a couple of gangsta niggas to kidnap him and beat the sh*t out of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic View Post
              You should send him to Saudi and make him work it off as Chris's new man servant. Bwahahahaha
              Should I start locking the guitars up now?
              Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Little brother should not only NOT come home, he should move further away. And hide very well.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Wow - now that I have read the whole thread...

Guitar issues:

#1 A cracked headstock is not good. A neck is EASIER to fix than the headstock. That Norlin is 5 piece maple. It is probably a) not broken at all or b) Effed.

#2 The Volute on the Norlin makes it like that the actually headstock breaks which is a PITA to fix and may often result in tuning nightmares.

- But it may be able to be fixed. Don't know. See Gene's post. He knows guys, with knowledge.

#3 It's a 78. Can't be worth more than 2k regardless. AT least I'd likely not pay more. However...there are some killer 78's: 25/50's, Artist model....one of those can run you 3-4k. Ouch! Those are special guitars.

#4 I don't want any of my guitars damaged - but if I have 11 of them...it's going to temper my response. My response will still not be good, and my #1 would elicit violence most likely.

Now the drama:
                  - Sold a guitar on eBay? There would not be an opportunity for a second incident!
                  - Smashed a Martin? You are OUT of here - locks changed, etc, and wife on notice if a DNA scan finds he was here she is out too.
                  - Stole for drugs? I'm assuming this is the root of the issue right there.
                  - I smell enabling all over the place. Mom asked YOU to find one? WTF. Tell mom to stop smoking whatever little bro is on and go find it herself. She needs to help POS son on her time with her money.
                  - I think I'd take him on a trip to an island somewhere and leave him there - three thousand miles away, and suggest he NOT find his way back.

I understand why this hasn't happened. If it were MY kid...it would be one of the toughest things I could ever do. If he is an eff up light enough / infrequently enough, you'll deal with it a long time. At some point though...it's time for a trip to Cam- Boot-In-Your-@$$

Now Chris...

-With all the Sandusky stuff going on, is this really the right time to be coming out about your Bangladesh House Boys? You know they don't allow that stuff in England? Or maybe they do. I thought the beheaded people (or worse) where you are for that stuff! :OMG:
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I don't think people from Denmark are allowed to say "nigga."
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

No one should be allowed to say it.

Comment

I guess I missed the part about the martin and the drugs and eBay. In that case.... Dad is only human o would say the same. After the first incident I would of cut him off from all money phones everything. After the second I would work him death around the house every free moment he had. After the les Paul he would of been out. Sometimes the hardest part about being a parent is doing what they need instead of making them a happy cushy life

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                          ...I'm seeing nice, well-cared for Customs from this era getting up into the mid $4000 range, as they become "vintage".
                          Maybe asking price, but not selling price.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

found one excellent shape black with gold hardware. I got the guy down to 2,200.00 the wife and i are going for a drive in the morning to pick it up. An hour drive so not bad...
                            THEY SAY A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS. UNLESS THIS IS THE PICTURE AND THE ONLY WORDS I CAN THINK OF ARE "WHAT THE FU@K HAPPENED TO YOU?"
                            sigpic
                            Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet
                            Bogner UberKab
                            Washburn Nuno N24 Vintage
                            Seymour Duncan El Diablo
                            Schecter 006 Elite
                            Seymour Duncan AHB 2 Blackout Metal

Comment

Look at it this way, your inheritance just went up by 50%.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                                I don't think people from Denmark are allowed to say "nigga."

No doubt.

Comment

Working...
                                X