Desertdudes Thread Got Me To Wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desertdudes Thread Got Me To Wondering

I know a couple guys who exclusively play FR guitars and they block them all. One uses D-Tuna's on all his. I'm sure there are tons of other people who do the same thing.

My question is why? Why do you get a guitar with something you plan to "disengage". Why not buy a similar model with a stop bar or regular bridge? Does the FR actually change the tone enough to justify having it or is it just a "for looks" thing?

Re: Desertdudes Thread Got Me To Wondering

Two words;
    Bone Heads.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Because of the standard features of shredders - thin shred necks, jumbo frets, brass sustain blocks, fine tuning, etc.
      MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
      1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
      1988 Kramer Nightswan
      1989 Charvel Sambora
      2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
      Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
      Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by muttznmongrelz View Post
        Because of the standard features of shredders - thin shred necks, jumbo frets, brass sustain blocks, fine tuning, etc.
        Probably all this, along with the ability to fine tune and generally, they stay in tune a bit better than conventional guitars when locked-there's no string movement anywhere to bind against anything. Then, there's also the tone thing and they feel super, super smooth across the fat part of your palm when muting.

Comment

I'd say for the way the guitar feels. I love playing Ibanez RG guitars because of the neck, solid tuning and how low the strings are against the body on the pickup area, specially on the models with pickguards. I hardly ever use the floyd at all but I rarely block it. Just don't put on the trem bar and I'm good to go. I would have got a model with a fixed bridge but they were not as widely available as the models with the edge bridge a few years ago.
          I tried a similar guitar with a tune o matic bridge and hated it. The strings were sky high on the pickup area.

Comment

Some models don't come with a stoptail and at this point I do way more dicking around with a Floyd doing squeals and what-not instead of using it to enhance my playing. So, I block all of my Floyds now. Brass big block + Tremol-no = teh toanz and rock-solid tuning stability.
            -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
            I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

The neck. I had an old Charvel 650 xl for years and years. Neck was pure sex, just about played itself. I never, ever used the floyd or even put that damn bar in place. If I find another floyd guitar that plays like that, I will buy it, knowing that I will never use the whammy at all.
              Last edited by rjudo; 06-16-2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I like Floyd's, but on the deck for dive only operation. For me it's the stability. If a string snaps, I don't have to worry about the whole guitar going out of tune. Being able to pull up is cool, but not something that works for me. I wouldn't block a Floyd making it totally inoperable. The feel of the bridge is nice. No sharp edges and the fine tuners are nice to have available.
                Last edited by ErikH; 06-16-2012, 03:50 PM.

Comment

With brands like Ibanez, you have to go out of your way to find a RG that doesn't have a FR style trem.
                  My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                  Originally posted by CTN
                  I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

As was stated, not all models are available in hardtail or tuneomatic. Of those that are, very few are "the same guitar as the Floyded one, but without the Floyd", meaning the neck angle and bridge and string height are different enough to affect playing.

However, I'm wondering what technique issues people are having if they're breaking strings. My LP Standard always popped the D string between the nut and tuner. Never was able to figure out why or how, but it was the only one that ever broke a string.

The only time I ever broke a string on a Floyded guitar was way back in '88, when I was cramming a set of 10s onto a Kramer with an OFR. I cranked the nut lock so tight that it cut the string. Another time, I split the saddle in half because I cranked the string lock screw too tight. I switched to 9s after that and haven't had any trouble.

I can shake a Floyded guitar by the handle like a screaming baby and will not break a string, so there's no need to block it.
                    If I want it to dive-only, then I dive-only.

Completely blocking a Floyd for zero movement, however, I can only see that as being a benefit to tuning stability, and have you seen the funny looks you get from builders when you ask for a Floyd nut with a Gibson TP-6 and roller TOM (not to mention the prices)?
                    Originally posted by Brown Note
                    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                    My Blog

Comment

I was just pondering a locknut with a fine tune hardtail. What's the downside in that?

Comment

Working...
                      X