Amateur Fret Level/ Crown/Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amateur Fret Level/ Crown/Polish

Pretty tedious task. I did the complete level/Crown/Polish on these three necks ( didn't polish the dark neck yet).
    I'm really happy. Not a Pro job by any means, but does the trick, and i saved myself about a couple hundred . (I'll have to touch up the necks now, I know I kind of butchered the dark one up especially, but I'm not too concerned, I just want it to play well ).
    The Maple neck on the right is a 1980/81 Mighty Mite I snagged for less than a hundred, and the frets were in bad shape. I also had to respray it. Now it will go on my 1984 Dimarzio Start body. I have high hopes for the tone.;

Last edited by MetalManiac; 06-17-2012, 03:46 AM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Amateur Fret Level/ Crown/Polish

If those are sand lines that run beside every fret, you're not taping off properly or you've got one hell of a heavy hand. If those are scratches, they're not going to be easy to get out.

This is how you learn to do it on your own though. Make those mistakes and learn from them. Fret work is by no means easy and takes a developed touch. Cheap necks are perfect to learn on. Just make sure you've got the right tools for the job, especially crowning files in this instance, and keep at it.
    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Everybody has to start somewhere. This is something I've been meaning to get into. I have a lot of geets that need levels/crowns and it's getting to the point where I might actually SAVE cash by shelling out for the files and straightedge.

Comment

If those are sand lines that run beside every fret, you're not taping off properly
        I agree. You have to tape the fretboard until only the frets show. A trick to help you know when the frets are level is write a sharpie line lightly down the middle of each frets. Then you take your 320 grit sandpaper and sand until the lines are gone completely on every fret so you know they are all even. Definitely make sure to use a crowning tool too. It will make your intonation better, your strings last longer, and your fret job will last longer.

Comment

Working...
        X