Telecaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Telecaster

I just logged on and thanks for all the replies. The soldering is a bit shoddy because my iron is almost burned out, I really need to get another. Therre's only a small spot on it now that gets hot enough to melt solder. The joints are all solid though. As some of you have already sussed, it's the switch. It doesn't conenct side to side, just along each side as it slides. It took some head scratching in the shed with the meter but I came up with the same wiring configuration as the dcotor above. I'll give it a try tonight. Also, the switches aren't cheap ones. It's a Switchkraft, as is the jack, and the pots are CTS.

Also, somewhat unrelated question. I have a hollowbody I just put PAFs in (it came to me with no pickups in it). It hums like crazy, but if I jump the bridge and tremolo to the pot housing the hum is significantly reduced. Is there a sneaky way to ground them inside the body?

Comment

Originally posted by themachine187 View Post
      I just logged on and thanks for all the replies. The soldering is a bit shoddy because my iron is almost burned out, I really need to get another. Therre's only a small spot on it now that gets hot enough to melt solder. The joints are all solid though. As some of you have already sussed, it's the switch. It doesn't conenct side to side, just along each side as it slides. It took some head scratching in the shed with the meter but I came up with the same wiring configuration as the dcotor above. I'll give it a try tonight. Also, the switches aren't cheap ones. It's a Switchkraft, as is the jack, and the pots are CTS.

Also, somewhat unrelated question. I have a hollowbody I just put PAFs in (it came to me with no pickups in it). It hums like crazy, but if I jump the bridge and tremolo to the pot housing the hum is significantly reduced. Is there a sneaky way to ground them inside the body?
      Yeah, run a dedicated ground from a pot casing to the bridge or trem claw.
      Good luck!!!

Comment

Easier said than done. here's what it looks like:

I could drill tiny holes and run them to the topside, or maybe use the mounting screws?

Comment

Originally posted by themachine187 View Post
          Easier said than done. here's what it looks like:

I could drill tiny holes and run them to the topside, or maybe use the mounting screws?
          The trapeze will have a screw or three fixing it to the end block. Take the trapeze off and drill through one of the holes into the end block. Strip back a couple of inches of insulation from some single core patch wire and thread it through the hole to the inside of the guitar then put the trap back on with the bare wire sandwiched between the trap bracket and the end block. Solder the other end to a convenient pot. Simple job. You may need to scrape some of the black plating off where it contacts the wire as black chrome or enamel can cause connection problems.

The wiring diagram I posted for your switch is definitely the correct configuration, I am 110% certain of it.
          www.facebook.com/elthamjones
          http://www.edgeguitarservices.co.uk

"I'm not crazy; my mother had me tested"

Comment

Working...
          X