Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witch hat knobs for Gibson guitars

Hi,

I am wondering who makes "vintage correct" witch hat knobs for late '60's Gibsons. Allparts has witch hats, but they don't look quite right compared to the ones on my '68 SG.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Check out Mojotone. They have them with either gold or silver inserts.

Comment

Re: Witch hat knobs for Gibson guitars

Thanks. But were you thinking of another retailer? Mojo only has Fender witch hats, and only with silver tops. And Guitar Parts Resource has the same ones Allparts has (silver or gold tops).
      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Thanks. I figured it was futile. Those E-Bay "repros" are probably exactly the same parts that Allparts and Guitar Parts Resource sell. They look OK, but they have the fat Fender numbers with the thick ink, not the tall and skinny Gibson font with the thin lines. If the '68 was not sitting right next to it, I probably wouldn't notice. I will probably get the ones from G.P.R. Not great, but better looking than bell knobs on a late-60's style SG.
        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Contact Gibson. They do repros for some guitars...Joan Jett MM, Angus SG, Carlton ES-335, etc and they are pretty close.

If you want dead on you'll all but have to go with a set from the late 60's or early 70's and they are running about $125 a set now give or take.

EDIT: Posting issues...
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks again. I looked up a pic of those Joan Jett Melody Maker knobs, and those knobs look good. The font is much closer than the Allparts ones. The only glaring thing I noticed was that on the MM ones, VOLUME is spelled out. On my '68, the volume knobs just say "VOL."

I also notice that repro knob pointers have rounded points, while the originals are literally sharp enough to cut myself on. Not a big deal to me, but interesting to note.

Needless to say, I'm not gonna buy an antique set. This is for a Faded SG Special. I am going to put on pointers and witch hats, a decent switch, and decent hardware (including double ring, double line keystones instead of those single ring ones Gibson puts on everything with keystones). Good guitar, but the details are cheapo.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-24-2012, 10:06 AM.
            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              Thanks. But were you thinking of another retailer? Mojo only has Fender witch hats, and only with silver tops. And Guitar Parts Resource has the same ones Allparts has (silver or gold tops).
              I had just looked at the site. They are on this page. Both gold and silver.

Comment

Interesting!

I hadn't even noticed the VOL vs VOLUME!!!

If you look at the knobs on the Carlton ES-335 I am all but positive they say VOL and TONE...
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                  Interesting!

I hadn't even noticed the VOL vs VOLUME!!!

If you look at the knobs on the Carlton ES-335 I am all but positive they say VOL and TONE...
                  Yes...they do! Those pointers also look plenty sharp.

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  I had just looked at the site. They are on this page. Both gold and silver.

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts...e=26%2C50%2C68
                  No witch hat knobs there that I can see.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-24-2012, 10:36 AM.
                  Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Contact Gibson and see if they will sell you a set of ES-335LC knobs...it's worth an Email or phone call for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                      Yes...they do! Those pointers also look plenty sharp.

No witch hat knobs there that I can see.
                      Page 1 - they're listed as Tele Deluxe knobs.

I want some of these for my LP Special. Tried the knobs off my Fender VibroChamp but they are too loose even with the set screw tightened. Maybe these will work better?

Comment

Originally posted by erksin View Post
                        Page 1 - they're listed as Tele Deluxe knobs.

I want some of these for my LP Special. Tried the knobs off my Fender VibroChamp but they are too loose even with the set screw tightened. Maybe these will work better?
                        Yes, I saw those before I posted. They are the ones I thought looked wrong. I think the Carlton knobs have skinnier lettering, though it is hard to tell. Look at the Os in VOL. and TONE.
                        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Yeah not saying they're exact, but their the closest we're gonna find without paying for vintage I think.

Comment

Working...
                          X