Ok, so I want to build a guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ok, so I want to build a guitar...

i didn't know that, that's an awesome idea!

LHS, see to this directly.

Comment

That's a really cool website. Thanks, dude.

I've actually been thinking about something like this, myself. I really want a double-cut Les Paul Jr, but they're impossible to find left handed.

I'd actually be interested in knowing the statistics regarding how many left handed people build their own guitars (either completely DIY, Warmoth, custom builders or partscasters) vs righties. For us, it's really the only option sometimes, if you want something specific.
      I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
        I'd actually be interested in knowing the statistics regarding how many left handed people build their own guitars (either completely DIY, Warmoth, custom builders or partscasters) vs righties. For us, it's really the only option sometimes, if you want something specific.
        It is entirely possible for a right-handed player to start building a guitar and end up as a lefty ... some of them saws can be vicious !
        Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Lots of great advice here...

I like the '58 shape but not too keen on the headstock...

I would prefer Neck-thru, to me this gives a more wholesome sound and resonation. Pickup wise.... IDK what I would have. I would be seriously tempted to use a JB bridge and 59 neck like Phil Campbell uses as he is the main reason I want an explorer (however James Hetfield is another influence).

I would prefer to build one so I can have some awesome type of finish on it... I would love a flame maple top with a rosewood finger board and maple neck (maybe mahogany neck, who knows?) and then probably do a purple stain on it, or a type of purple burst, really would love that!
          Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
          you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Originally posted by Left_Hand_Strat View Post
            Lots of great advice here...

I like the '58 shape but not too keen on the headstock...

I would prefer Neck-thru, to me this gives a more wholesome sound and resonation. Pickup wise.... IDK what I would have. I would be seriously tempted to use a JB bridge and 59 neck like Phil Campbell uses as he is the main reason I want an explorer (however James Hetfield is another influence).

I would prefer to build one so I can have some awesome type of finish on it... I would love a flame maple top with a rosewood finger board and maple neck (maybe mahogany neck, who knows?) and then probably do a purple stain on it, or a type of purple burst, really would love that!
            Only that particular reissue has that headstock. The banana headstock is "correct" for 1958. I don't even know if that Futura headstock made it onto any actual Explorers. Maybe some, but it wasn't the norm TMK.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I built my own from scratch one time.... it really made me appreciate the work that goes into it...

I'll never do it again... but ya an explorer will likely need a HUGE piece of blank.... the one I made was the same way, huge, had to custom order it... ended up using swamp ash and it weighed SOOO much!

Good luck! make sure you double check all your angles and the neck pocket... thats whats really important.
              Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

yep best advice is to get a good template and take your time

the neck pocket is very important (not to turn you off from the project but FFFFing up the neck pocket or neck will make the guitar unplayable), but it's also important to make sure you space everything appropriately and proportionately on the body (pickup cavities, routing, bridge/tremolo, etc).

Comment

Do you think GC or Sam Ash would let someone trace a guitar? Not a $5,000 guitar, but maybe an Epi? Damn-near guarantee they've never been asked that one!
                  LTD M-50 W/ AHB-1 Blackouts.
                  Thinline W/GFS Classic II
                  Soloist W/Duncan Detonator
                  LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
                  Blackstar HT5-H.
                  Custom 112 cab W/G12 75T.

Comment

Originally posted by Bfeeney View Post
                    Do you think GC or Sam Ash would let someone trace a guitar? Not a $5,000 guitar, but maybe an Epi? Damn-near guarantee they've never been asked that one!
                    I'd just buy a template set. They're available for most popular and classic designs. Plus most of them already have a good center line to work off of already on them.
                    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Working...
                    X