Squier Rosewood Fretboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squier Rosewood Fretboards

Looking at alder body Squier Strats today, and noticed the rosewood on all the Squiers looked different. It's attractive, with dark and light stripes running parallel to the strings, but it's not like rosewood on my other guitars. I remember reading about Gibson's run in with the law about buying rosewood out of protected forests. Fender's website say's the fretboard is rosewood. How many species are out there, and if they're suitable for guitar making is something that didn't Google very well.

Anyway, I want a Squier made of well crafted tonewoods as a foundation to build on. This will be my first strat, and since I'm in uncharted single-coil waters, I want something that I can change at will without having to worry about depreciating it. The one I really like is a 60's Vibe model, it has a strong acoustic sound (probably from what looks like an almost quarter sawn neck). If it's real rosewood, I'm buying it. If not, I'll find a maple fretboard model instead....

Thanks

Re: Squier Rosewood Fretboards

If your after top quality woods squire isnt your best bet. Does that mean there is something inherently wrong in a squire? Nope some of them are fantastic guitars. If the guitar sounds and feels good to you then nab it.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Cough. Excellent pics in here. Wanna buy?

All joking aside, the rosewood seems to be no problem, it looks and feels like my other guitars. I think the cheap wood used there is for the maple. And the finish of course.

Comment

I also say their rosewood is good. Rosewood can vary dramatically in color and grain, even within a sub-species. there are many types used on guitars. Fretboards are generally Indian Rosewood these days but others are becoming more common. Regardless, tonally they are mostly quite similar and consistent.

Comment

Streaky rosewood is totally fine. Pretty much all rosewood comes from India these days, where it's fairly abundant. Rosewood that's darker and more solid-coloured tends to be used on the high end models, but I'm 99% sure it's all the same species.

I have rosewood boards that range from pale and streaky to almost-ebony-dark and solid. All feel the same, and all are great guitars.
          Band: www.colouredanimal.com
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
          Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Ratherdashing is correct, most rosewood on guitars, from inexpensive to high end is Indian Rosewood. The more visually attractive pieces get snatched up by they higher end guitar companies. That may change since the Gibson raid, as it seems PRS is getting rosewood from different sources now

However, my USA made PRS Korina came with a light piece of rosewood for the fretboard, which was typical for that limited run. I didn't like it, so I cpnstantly oiled and played it, and eventually it darkened to a nice darker brown.

You can also dye the rosewood- some companies stain it black to resemble ebony

Comment

Working...
            X