Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GHS Burnished Nickel strings

Any users here??

I just ordered a box...will report back!

I've been using EB R-n-R's for a while now but decided to give these a shot and see what happens.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: GHS Burnished Nickel strings

I hear good things, but I have not seen any around to try. Supposedly an upgrade over the nickel rockers. In general GHS have a larger core wire, and smaller wrap than other manufacturers, which should make them last a bit longer than the EBRRs.

I had to make the switch from the EBRRs myself, and I ended up going with GHS Boomers. First time in over 20 years I have liked the tone and feel of GHS strings on one of my axes.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Well, I like to use things I can get local to me but even the EB R-n-R's have gotten hard to find local so I decided to order a few boxes of strings and since i was ordering I decided to try something different...

We'll see what happens, worst case I don't like 'em and back to the EB's it is...I like the EB's but like I said, a chance to try something popped up so I jumped on it.

I am thinking about trying Fender 150's again too for kicks!
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I used them for a few years and I still dig em. I got em when I first got my strat and I wanted to warm up the sound a little more. I do like them very much on my Gibsons too - they compliment the antiquity humbuckers really well. The "burnished" give them a rounder attack. Fatter and more open (very much so in general) than the DR Pure Blues that I use now. The Pure Blues are more honky.

The burnished nickels are a little lacking in the high-end sparkle, but I think that's the point of em. I prefer them to the Nickel Rockers and they are one of my favorite roundwound strings. I think you'll dig em, Christian.
        Last edited by Gunny47; 07-07-2012, 04:55 PM.
        - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
        - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
        - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
        - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
        - Tungsten Buckwheat
        - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
        - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
        - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

Compared to the EBRRs, the newer Fender pure nickel bullets and ballends are a bit more dull and have higher tension. They last longer for me, but start out not as nice sounding as the EBRRs.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Just letting you know, Dunlop has just come out with a new nickel set of strings, so there is another option
            LtKojak, on the theory of having too many guitars...

Also, I'd like to remind you that the very concept of having "too many guitars" just doesn't exist. It's been selfishly created by parents and/or girlfriends/wives to lure you to stay away of your passions just to have more of YOUR money and YOUR time at THEIR disposal!

Comment

Originally posted by Mont97 View Post
              Just letting you know, Dunlop has just come out with a new nickel set of strings, so there is another option
              I knew they are out but I have yet to find them for sale anywhere...

I'd like to try them but haven't had the chance yet.

Comment

I use 10-46 GHS Burnished Nickel Rockers on all my electric guitars. I play country, rockabilly, and alt country as my main styles. My number 1 is 2005 Gibson explorer with Dimarzio VPAFn and VHPAF bridge. I love these strings for their tone and feel. They bend nice and they have a unique sound. Cool twang sounds as well. I always recommend them and I only play pure nickel strings. I also like fender 150 pure nickels on my Jaguar but every thing else gets burnished nickel rockers. Good luck and I hope you like the strings and find the sound you are looking for.

Comment

How do they look???
                  Sounds kinda intriguing!

Comment

did you ever wind up using these strings, Christian? Wonderin' what you thought of em
                    - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
                    - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
                    - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
                    - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
                    - Tungsten Buckwheat
                    - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
                    - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
                    - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

I did indeed...put a set of 11-50's on my open G Telecaster, and a set of 10-46's on my Les Paul, Broadcaster, and ES-335 earlier this week and so far I'm really liking them!

They feel great, sound great and they are taking a beating and staying in tune VERY well.

They might be a tad tighter than most strings in the same gauges but it's hard to tell and if they are it's not by much.

So far I'm happy with them but more time will tell the whole story.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                        I did indeed...put a set of 11-50's on my open G Telecaster, and a set of 10-46's on my Les Paul, Broadcaster, and ES-335 earlier this week and so far I'm really liking them!

They feel great, sound great and they are taking a beating and staying in tune VERY well.

They might be a tad tighter than most strings in the same gauges but it's hard to tell and if they are it's not by much.

So far I'm happy with them but more time will tell the whole story.
                        I have a couple of sets of those here at home also,but haven't tryed them..Thx to everyone for posting about em.I also use and really like the Nickel Rockers..
                        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
                        X