banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Shop RTM Review in New USACG Build (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop RTM Review in New USACG Build (pic heavy)

First off, I have to say that MJ rocks! I got to meet her at the Dallas Guitar Show and explained to her my project. I was building a modern guitar the sounded great clean, but could get nast at the same time. I needed something that would cover 80 hair metal to modern rock, but also get strat like tones. She ended up recommending an RTM and a matching neck humbucker wound to 8.2K/A2 and use 4 conductor leads. I went with a 5 way super switch so I could have versatility. I also went body mount on the pickups

POS 1: Bridge Full, Volume Pot at 500K
    POS 2: Bridge Split, Volume Pot at 250K
    POS 3: Bridge Split and Neck Split, Volume Pot at 250K
    POS 4: Neck Split, Volume Pot at 250K
    POS 5: Neck Full, Volume Pot at 500K

My overall impression of the pickup are that they are my new favorite. I know there is alot of rave over the Suhr Aldrich, but after owning them for a few years, I can say the RTM is much better to my ears. The RTM and just as hot and crunchy, but are more open sounding and I think split much, much better. These pickups are perfect if you are looking for hot pickups that still breath. Very, very balanced.

And for the Guitar:

I went for a mix of modern and vintage, mostly modern with a hint of vintage cosmetics ala the sonic blue and vintage Kramer Pacer beak headstock

Roasted Quarter Sawn Maple Neck with Pau Ferro Board, Jumbo Stainless Steel Frets
    Light Weight Sonic Blue Alder Body with Contoured Heal
    Recessed Original Floyd Rose w/ Fat Brass Block
    Duncan Custom Shop Warren Demartini Zebra Set Wound by MJ with 5 way super switch
    Gotoh Tuners

I love how the neck turned out. I used the Ernie Ball method of Tru Oil and Wax. I highly recommend the roasted necks. i lover how dark the are and they resonate wonderfully. This put together very nicely and required very little tweaking.

Re: Custom Shop RTM Review in New USACG Build (pic heavy)

looks sweet!

Comment

That looks killer.
      Hard Rock - gain on 5 - singing about good times.

Heavy Metal - gain on 10 - screaming about something.

---Gearjoneser
      he was trying to convince her to swing.

That's like taking a Ferrari to a mud bog.--Ginormous

Comment

also became a fan of the RTM after running into MJ at that show. she kept pushing me toward the '78 (lol!) but I'm glad I went with the RTM. I order another a few weeks later and then I also just bought another one that should be here in the next day or two. it's a great pickup.

I'd be interested in hearing more on your take of the neck pup she made for you.

and sweet Stapp, that is an awesome wiring job.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
          also became a fan of the RTM after running into MJ at that show. she kept pushing me toward the '78 (lol!) but I'm glad I went with the RTM. I order another a few weeks later and then I also just bought another one that should be here in the next day or two. it's a great pickup.

I'd be interested in hearing more on your take of the neck pup she made for you.

and sweet Stapp, that is an awesome wiring job.
          Where are you in Texas?

Comment

I can't believe I missed that show!
            PRS Singlecuts
            Epiphone Sheraton II
            Vintage acoustics

Comment

That is a ****ing sick guitar.
              -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
              I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

That's nice, and I like that Suhr style neck.

Comment

That's reeeeally nice. Love the simple aesthetics and the oiled neck - my kind of guitar (except I prefer non recessed Floyds ).

The resistor wired in so the single coil positions see a 250k pot is a clever move.

Don't think I've ever seen a quarter sawn maple neck used on a guitar.
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

WOW.

That guitar is almost too cool.

I'd be honored to play a single note on her.

You lucky dog...

Comment

Awesome work!

Lovely, just lovely.........

Play it like you mean it!

Originally posted by Ayrton
                      Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.
                      Originally posted by Funkfingers
                      Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
                      Originally posted by Funkfingers
                      You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.

sigpic

Comment

my word yes!
                        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Awesome.
                          my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Holy crap, you built a Suhr!
                            -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys. Yes, i have to admit this build was hugely inspired by the 5 Tom Anderson and 2 Suhr guitars that I used to own. Both of them use slight undersized body for the Anderson Cobra and Drop Tops and Suhr Standards and Moderns, so the Dinky style body with with countored heel was the logical route. Ans you know, the Suhr and Andersons headstock are similar to the early 80's kramer Pacer Classic. Both offer stainless steal frets standard on most models. This would combination has also became very popular for both. I like the modern functionality and options, but really like the vintage sonic blue and dark vintage looking necks. I alsohave been following the factory setup specs and have the action set at 4/64 or 1/16 and the last fret, whithout the slightest hint of fret buzz. I could probably drop it more, but its compfortable.

Comment

Working...
                              X