banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing my pickup in my Les Paul for the first time (and other little changes!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing my pickup in my Les Paul for the first time (and other little changes!)

Hi everyone! First time pickup swap on my les paul. Its an epi standard, with an already loaded 59n and a stock bridge. I'm getting either an aph1b or aph2b slash (i know both have different conductor cables, one's single the other is something else) i know the instructions on the back are going to help. Any advice, warnings to beware?

Also can i get any advice on changing a problem in my other les paul. Its a pearly gates bridge, alnico pro 2 neck. The pearly is a bit too trebly, and i hear changing either the pot or the cap will help smooth it just a tad. I think i've got a 500k in the back on both volume and tone. No idea what caps are in it. I'm going to check it in a bit to confirm with you guys. My dad's a repairman at a guitarcenter and said to start with changing the cap to tame the sound.
    Any advice welcome!

Re: Changing my pickup in my Les Paul for the first time (and other little changes!)

PGB's are fairly bright, as are any bridge PAF's. I use 250K pots on most of my bridge HB's and P-90's to tame the treble (it's way more than I need). Caps only change the tone when you roll down the tone control.

A2P's are good PU's, I have a set in an Epi LP. I use two 250K's on the bridge there too. For some guys that's too warm, but I still get enough bite and cut. Some players like 500K's all around, and prefer to adjust their tone controls. My approach is 250K's on the bridge and 500K's on the neck, which balances their EQ's with both tone pots on '10', so I don't have to adjust them every time I plug in. To each his own.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
    X