guitars in hardcase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitars in hardcase?

I keep my guitars in their respective hardcases. A friend of mine told me that isn't good to keep a guitar in a hardcase because the guitar needs to breathe and needs some moisture, so I should keep them in a guitar stand instead.
    I was a little skeptical about it and my friend is recognized to talk cr@p sometimes, but I really don't know if it's true... Is it?
    Last edited by crguti; 07-12-2012, 06:59 AM.

Re: guitars in hardcase?

I think guitars are meant to be played! Get one of those fancy cigar store cases and put all your axes in that!

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
      I think guitars are meant to be played!
      I agree, but when I am not playing them I keep them in their hardcases.

Comment

I've never had any problems with them being in or out of their cases.

Comment

I keep all of mine out all the time. That way, they all get played. I figure if they can't take the climate, they're no use to me (of course i try to avoid them suffering from extreme climate conditions, but they always stay out). Plus, i really enjoy seeing them all together. They're my family.

(for the last two months, my rented house has been up for sale, and i have had at least 100 potential buyers coming through to view the place, so any and all valuables, which is mostly the guitars, have had to be put in their cases and hidden. I just have a couple of crap-looking instruments out to play. I'm missing having them all out a great deal, and will be glad when i find a new place to live so they can all be out again).
          Last edited by crusty philtrum; 07-12-2012, 07:03 AM.
          Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Some of my guitars are in cases if not being played, and they are fine. The ones out are gathering dust.

Comment

Originally posted by verbotenco View Post
              Some of my guitars are in cases if not being played, and they are fine. The ones out are gathering dust.
              +1. I'll keep one or two handy (rotating which guitars are out) and the rest in hard and soft cases. Leave them out and they get dust and pet fur on them, and are at more risk for damage. Guitar stands are very easy to tip over. Hard cases aren't hemetically sealed, so they still breathe and get some air exchange. If you don't mind dust, dings, and scratches leave them out; otherwise put them away. It takes seconds to take a guitar out of a case, aso it's not really an excuse not to play or practice. No one is so busy that they don't have time to put guitars in and out of a case.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
                I keep my guitars in their respective hardcases. A friend of mine told me that isn't good to keep a guitar in a hardcase because the guitar needs to breathe and needs some moisture, so I should keep them in a guitar stand instead.
                I was a little skeptical about it and my friend is recognized to talk cr@p sometimes, but I really don't know if it's true... Is it?
                Well your friend is full of crap I hate to say. The case is one of the best ways to store the guitar other than hanging it from the headstock which helps relieve string tension on the neck. The stand is on of the worst ways to store the guitar long term because the weight of the guitar increases the stress in the direction the strings are pulling since the top of the stand is pushing on the neck and the span of guitar between the neck support and the base support of the stand wants to settle or bend toward the stand....imagine the gradual curve of the neck curving more if the guitar were malleable and not so rigid.

Now, with that said, it doesn't mean that setting it on the stand for long periods of time will necessarily harm it...but it does increase the stress on the neck. The only disadvantage to hanging it from the headstock is the exposure to dust and the elements, but as far as stress goes it is the best way to store the guitar. Leaving it in the case will not harm it at all and in my opinion is the best way overall since it is protected from the elements and there is no added stress to the neck, just the tension of the strings.

Only acoustics have issues of breathing and humidity since electrics are sealed wood all around so don't worry about your electrics "breathing." Acoustics should be monitored for proper humidity and temperature depending on the climate of where you live. Richmond is a very humid region so I never worry about the wood drying out here. If you lived in the desert it might be an issue for you. It all depends. They make guitar humidifiers if drying wood is a problem for you. It's best to do some research on this if you are concerned as I do not know a lot about it. Maybe someone else can chime in.
                Originally posted by grumptruck
                I always think of man bulge
                "How 'bout are you willin' to make the commitment, wakin' up, goin' okay, it's gig time, what t-shirt am I gonna wear?"-Tenacious D

Comment

Originally posted by verbotenco View Post
                  Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                  +1. I'll keep one or two handy (rotating which guitars are out) and the rest in hard and soft cases. Leave them out and they get dust and pet fur on them, and are at more risk for damage. Guitar stands are very easy to tip over. Hard cases aren't hemetically sealed, so they still breathe and get some air exchange. If you don't mind dust, dings, and scratches leave them out; otherwise put them away. It takes seconds to take a guitar out of a case, aso it's not really an excuse not to play or practice. No one is so busy that they don't have time to put guitars in and out of a case.
                  +1 to both of this. I really dont know from where your friend got all that info. But it makes '0' sense to me. A case keeps a guitar safe from dust and scratches, ( unless u like all that) . I keep all mine in their cases. The only time they are out is when I am playing them or taking short break. I was infact thinking of getting Hard shell cases for them . I fear them geeting damaged in a soft case.
                  sigpic
                  Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                  JFG Flying V,
                  "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                  John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Mine are all out and about. Keeping them in their cases can be handy for a quick emergency evacuation, and for keeping stray hands off of them (damn kids), as well as household pets and pests. That's about it.
                    Originally posted by Brown Note
                    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                    My Blog

Comment

I just bought the rockstand 5 by warwick.
                      I want to visual-masturbate with my guitars too

Comment

I store all my guitars in the case when they are not being played. In Winter months it is important to keep the humidity up. I keep hydration materials in all my acoustic guitars cases & my electrics I hydrate the room. I attempt to keep humidity @ or about 45 to 50%. Too much humidity is less of a concern then not enough!
                        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

In my new place I keep my most frequently used electrics hung up on the wall, and the rest in their cases in the closet. I keep the Larrivee on a floor stand in the summer, and pack it in its case in the winter (as Larrivee themselves suggest).

The room my guitars are in has a humidifier that keeps the humidity at or above 45%. It barely ever comes on in the summer. High humidity is rarely a problem where I live, but the humidity can get pretty low in the winter, which is very bad for acoustics.

Anyway, as long as you store them in a room that doesn't get too hot or cold, or too humid or dry, it's totally fine to leave your guitars in their cases.

I recommend that anyone who has a nice acoustic or full-hollow electric invest in a hygrometer, so you at least know what the temperature and humidity is in your house.
                          Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                          Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                          Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
                            I will say that if you do keep it in a case take that little moisture absorbing packet out that generally comes in cases.

Comment

Originally posted by hareek View Post
                              Only acoustics have issues of breathing and humidity since electrics are sealed wood all around so don't worry about your electrics "breathing." Acoustics should be monitored for proper humidity and temperature depending on the climate of where you live. Richmond is a very humid region so I never worry about the wood drying out here. If you lived in the desert it might be an issue for you. It all depends. They make guitar humidifiers if drying wood is a problem for you. It's best to do some research on this if you are concerned as I do not know a lot about it. Maybe someone else can chime in.
                              I live in a humid climate and my acoustic stays in its case for a long period of time, but never does fungus breeding on it. Which is strange cause fungus grows in humid climate more easily.

Comment

Working...
                              X