Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• touch-up lacquer

Hello,

Does anyone supply little bottles of nitrocellulose lacquer touch-up paint? I want to do a few touch ups on a few guitars. I want a paint that will blend in a bit better than some of the things I've tried in the past, like car touch up paint, model paint, nail polish, etc. Also, I've tried obtaining touch-up paints from both Fender and Gibson, but they both said no.

I've got two thoughts so far:

1. Buy a can of Reranch and spray it into a bottle so it can be brushed. I used to do this all the time so I could airbrush certain model paints that were only available as aerosol sprays.

2. Get clear lacquer and various pigments from Stew-Mac. The problem with this is quantity. I think I need to buy at least a pint of the stuff. That is way too much, and I don't know how long the stuff lasts.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Re: touch-up lacquer

I don't know what colors you're wanting, but Stew Mac used to sell these "pens" that were supposed to recolor and mask chips in the finish. I don't know if they still do, but it might be worth a check.
    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Nail poilsh. It's mostly nitro and is the material to use. Of course there's a vast range of colours to select from once you get past the possible strangeness of browsing the nail polish racks at the store or supermarket. Don't forget they make a clear as well as the colours.
      Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Thanks. I have used nail polish, but I didn't like it. I think I will try thinning it this time. I was aware that it dissolved in acetone or lacquer thinner, but I didn't know it used nitrocellulose as the binder.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

There are no good ways to do this...

Even if you have the same colour that is on the guitar the finish on the guitar has faded, top coat has yellowed and it'll never really match and if you're talking about an older guitar touching up the finish is a hit to the value.
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
          X