Tone Gurus: Lynch's Sacred Groove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Gurus: Lynch's Sacred Groove

Any of you Lynch fans or tone junkies have any insight on the rig George was using for the recording of Sacred Groove? The tone in "Love Power from the Mama Head" and "Flesh and Blood" are so yummy I just got to know!
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Re: Tone Gurus: Lynch's Sacred Groove

That's a tough one. Have you seen the photos of Lynch where he's posing infront of a wall of amps? All of his guitars are layed out on the floor infront of him? That's the studio where he recorded "Sacred Groove" (originally titled "Hypnotica-Erotica"). The best part of "Love Power" has to be where Lynch's strap fails, and the guitar goes straight to the floor! Come to think of it, I often hear of Lynch's straps failing! Can't he afford to buy a set of Straploks?

Amp-wise, I think he used the Bogner Ecstasy (then a prototype) for most of it. Guitar-wise, I'd bet on his M1 Tiger. Here's a link to the Lynch website page where he outlines his recording rig for that CD.

Last edited by 7th Hell; 12-27-2004, 01:15 PM.
    Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
    ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
    ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
    ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
    ESP KH-1
    LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
    BC Rich KKV
    Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
    Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

Re: Tone Gurus: Lynch's Sacred Groove

I'm clearly blind or web stupid, because that page should have been so blatently obvious when I looked on his site this morning. Thanks 7th Hell. Anyway, here's a section on the amps:

Guitars on this record were not recorded with a largely different variety of gear. The primary amp involved for much of the recordings was a '67 Park 50-watt head on loan from Marshall's Richie Fliegler, lent from the Marshall Museum. Fliegler had recommended this as being the best sounding Marshall ever. Again, this was the primary amp used.

Along with that head was an early Bogner prototype that would become the Ecstacy model. At the time, there was only one and it wasn't for sale. "I was fortunate enough to get my hands on it and meet with him, and he was nice enough to let me use it for a couple of weeks," George recalls. Also on hand but barely used was a '72 Marshall Super Lead. A very early version of the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier was used for rhythm overdubs here and there. These amps ran through four Genz Benz 4x12 cabinets that were loaded with fane or Celestion speakers.
      So, a '67 Park 50 watt. Something tells me I'm not going to pick that up at the local Guitar Center...
      Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Working...
      X