Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson SG w. mini 'Hums, hummmm ?

Anyone tested one before ?

Will the sound be close to that of a Firebird w mini Hums ?

Your thoughts on this SG !
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: Gibson SG w. mini 'Hums, hummmm ?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-F...61-i1550511.gc - will they have a simmilar tone ?
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

The blade boles in original Firebird pups are magnetic, whereas these 70s tributes seem to have a normal humbucker arrangement with a steel pole and magnet under the coils. The differences in architecture will have an impact on tone.

The modern Firebird has ceramic pups which most people seem to dislike because they're hot and harsh sounding. Architecture is like a regular hb, I think.

The CS reissues ones seem to have correct repro pups.
      Last edited by Ashurbanipal; 07-19-2012, 07:56 PM.
      Originally posted by dominus
      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I would put a set of seymourized minis in that. I played an ESP Firebird with Seymourized Minis once and it rocked. Too bad they don't have triple minis and a 5 way rotary.
        Last edited by idsnowdog; 07-19-2012, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Even if you used the exact same pups in each, the SG will still sound a bit different from the Firebird.

In any case, an SG with minis is gonna sound great...similar to P-90s.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
          X