Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a Stratocaster restoration

Hi

My father's #1 Stratocaster has been sitting in it's case in need of some TLC. I am putting on a new bone nut. I am looking for advice on a new pick guard color scheme. I am using left handed area 58, 67, and 54 pro. Here are some pictures of it in it's current state. I am looking for some quick advice since my father is terminally I'll and I want to restore it while he is still alive. Thank you so much for the help on this time sensitive matter.

I am leaning toward mint guard, creme pickup covers, and black dice knobs or original guard with black or creme covers and original knobs.

Forgot to say it is a early 70's strat that is all original except custom 5 bolt neck plate.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Help with a Stratocaster restoration

I wouldn't touch a thing!
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

that is all original except custom 5 bolt neck plate
      And the tuners, plus bridge....
      Tends to agree with The Dali...
      Looks nice already.
      And sorry about your father....never is nice when one parents go away!
      All the best with the project.
      Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 07-20-2012, 07:33 AM.

Comment

I agree, it's looks cool as it is. String it up with a new set of strings, clean it up a bit, lube the nut, get a good setup on it and play the hell out of it.

Sorry about your dad.

Comment

Leave it as it is.
          " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Comment

+1 to set up and leave as is.
            https://www.rockstockpedals.com/

Comment

It's fine. Just do what you need to do to get it playable.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Same advice here. Clean her up, only fix what you have to and play it.
                Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Restoration would imply putting it back to original condition. Which i could get on board with. Get the correct tuners and bridge. Figure out whats the deal with the neck plate and fix it.

If you want go ahead and get a new complete pickguard and pickup set up. Then just set the original aside that way it can be replaced in the future if you want and the original electronics are all there unmolested. Doing that wouldnt hurt and is easily reversible.

But really i think the best tribute would be to keep as original as possible and just setting it up to play as best it can.
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                  you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
                    I wouldn't touch a thing!
                    Agree 100%....
                    -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                      But really i think the best tribute would be to keep as original as possible and just setting it up to play as best it can.
                      For me, that would mean keeping it as your Dad remembers it, unless he himself would like to see it as it came out of the Fender factory.
                      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Thank you for the advice guys. Really appreciate it and all the best wishes from everyone. Tough days ahead. Thanks again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

get it playable, change the strings and keep the rest of it the same way your dad liked it.
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

That guitar deserves to be left alone. Have a really good tech do a proper setup on it & present to your father and jam with him....
                            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Leave it alone and just fix up the playing parts, if you really wanted to switch pickguards, pearloid-white, or pearl black, or just normal black/white suit the burst the best

Comment

Working...
                              X