NGD (sort of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD (sort of)

Not really new, I've had this guitar for about a month but I wanted to get some pics before the makeover begins. I found a pretty good deal on craigslist, and I figured I want the B5 and Tele Hot Stack, I'll either mod/play it or worst case part it out.

The good:
    Turns out that the body is pretty good; I was pleasantly surprised by how resonant it is. The neck is decent, but I've decided to part with it.

The not so good:
    IMO the GFS mini-bucker in the neck is awful. The guitar has two 500K pots and I just can't believe how muddy it is. Some people may like these, but it's just not for me. The locking tuners (also GFS) likewise are pretty bad.

With that out of the way, meet 'Sting' my Partscaster Tele (named after Bilbo's sword from The Hobbit, not some toolbag singer):

The upcoming makeover:
    First of all, the B5 / vibramate are going away. I want the B5 for Stu (my 335), and the vibramate will be for sale soon. I'm not a Tele guy, and I want the Bigsby for a guitar I'm going to play more often. In its place I'll be installing a vintage brass 6-saddle bridge from an early 80s Charvel. Unfortunately I'll have to drill the body to convert it from a top-loader to string-thru.

Next I'll be replacing the neck pickup and guard. After playing a Fender Hot Rod '52 Tele, I decided to go with an SM-1 Vintage Mini Humbucker. Just need to find one for a price I'm willing to pay. I'm also going with a 3-ply black guard as I just don't care for the pearloid.

The last change is the neck. I don't know where the current one came from, and though it may be paranoid I suspect the quality of the fretwire. In it's place I'll be installing the original rosewood fingerboard neck from 'Juliet' my Charvel Model 4.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Re: NGD (sort of)

about freakin' time.
    SOON, WE WILL ALL HAS A FLAVR!!1!

the definition of insanity

Comment

What kind of GFS Mini in the neck? If you have a hot bridge pickup, the GFS Ceramic Hot Cruncher neck mini is pretty good. I dont like their overwound Alnicos in the neck.
      I also like a hot bridge Tele pickup.
      Please leave that Bigsby on that Tele. It completes it.
      ( oh yeah..and a black guard..and yeah, the guitar neck looks cheap..ditch it..hahah)
      Last edited by MetalManiac; 07-21-2012, 08:49 PM.
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Very impressive lookin Tele!
        PRS Singlecuts
        Epiphone Sheraton II
        Vintage acoustics

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
          What kind of GFS Mini in the neck? If you have a hot bridge pickup, the GFS Ceramic Hot Cruncher neck mini is pretty good. I dont like their overwound Alnicos in the neck.
          I also like a hot bridge Tele pickup.
          Please leave that Bigsby on that Tele. It completes it.
          ( oh yeah..and a black guard..and yeah, the guitar neck looks cheap..ditch it..hahah)
          Sorry man, the Bigsby is going away. I've been hoarding that Charvel bridge for years and I finally have a guitar to put it on. I also would much rather have the Bigsby on Stu.

Originally posted by Push to Shuv View Post

Very impressive lookin Tele!
          I assure you it isn't that impressive in person; hideous maybe. I'll post a new thread or update this one when the makeover's complete.
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Sounds like it's gonna be pretty sweet!

I had been wondering about those GFS tuners for a while. Glad I never got any now.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
              I had been wondering about those GFS tuners for a while. Glad I never got any now.
              +1. I was actually about to pick some up tonight!
              -As a matter of fact dystrust, which tuners are those? They have a few locking sets.
              -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
              I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

These. They work well enough as tuners, but the QC on the locking mechanisms is pretty bad. Four or five of the tuners lock down properly, the others don't. They also seem to slip more than Sperzels. Considering that Sperzels run $60+ per set and these are like $35, you get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                  These. They work well enough as tuners, but the QC on the locking mechanisms is pretty bad. Four or five of the tuners lock down properly, the others don't. They also seem to slip more than Sperzels. Considering that Sperzels run $60+ per set and these are like $35, you get what you pay for.
                  Sunnuva*****! Those are the exact ones I wanted to get too. I'll have to look for a review on the Gotoh-style. Thanks for the info!
                  -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
                  I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

I really like these budget Wilkie "locking" tuners. Ive had all kinds, and these are really good IMO.
                    They arent full fledged lockers, so you can still have some trouble with taking off the high strings, but for the most part, the Low and middel strings are easy to "lock", and they had a pretty decent tight ratio. Not saying they are as good as expensive tuners, but they are good and they are inexpensive.

Last edited by MetalManiac; 07-22-2012, 06:37 PM.
                    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Cant wait to see the remake. Love Sperzels. Never had one slip but it is a machine and machines do break.
                      Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                      Guitar to sound output:
                      Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Originally posted by SrDeMaFp View Post
                        Sunnuva*****! Those are the exact ones I wanted to get too. I'll have to look for a review on the Gotoh-style. Thanks for the info!
                        I have those on my tele, haven't had any problems whatsoever. I also like the fat alnico mini, but I do prefer a dark neck humbucker, definitely not a good choice for clarity.

Comment

Charvel necks are usually 2 1/4. Is it going to fit in the neck pocket?
                          https://www.rockstockpedals.com/

Comment

Originally posted by phred View Post
                            Charvel necks are usually 2 1/4. Is it going to fit in the neck pocket?
                            from another thread...

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                            ...the late 80s MIJ Charvel model series are 100% compatible with Fender necks / bodies. I've owned four of those guitars and used them with Charvel, Fender, and ESP necks with no problems. I've also used Charvel model series necks on Fender and ESP bodies.
                            i'm reading that the heel on jackson and charvel neck-throughs are 2-1/4", but bolt-ons are 2-3/16". something about how initially they just sold aftermarket parts to fit fenders. they apparently didn't start building their own guitars until '78 or '79 after EVH built his frankenstein partscaster using their stuff.
                            Last edited by longcat; 07-23-2012, 09:48 AM.
                            SOON, WE WILL ALL HAS A FLAVR!!1!

the definition of insanity

Comment

My 80's Charvel neck is wider than a normal strat pocket.

Comment

Working...
                              X