banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good small, single channel amp to start clean with.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good small, single channel amp to start clean with.

I was thinking about getting a 15-30 watt single channel tube combo with a 1x12 or 2x10 to start clean with, maybe like some sort of fender. And then buying a nice OD like a tube screamer and something else for rhythm and leads. What made me think about this was seeing a lot of blues/jam/rock guitarists playing live using small single channel tube amps(usually fender) with different pedals and getting awesome tone and suprisingly versatile for cover bands. Has anyone had good results with a simple,small,single channel amp for blues/classic rock? Any recomendations for an amp like that that takes pedals really good? something I would be able to buy with the money from selling my amp, no ac30s or over 30w fenders. Thanks guys

Re: A good small, single channel amp to start clean with.

Blues Jr sounds like what you are looking for.

Fender MIM Strat (Hot Rails)
    Squier P-Bass
    Hamer Standard (import)

Comment

One that will stay super clean is the twin, but there so damn heavy, and loud....

Comment

You may even want to go with the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

Rock out.
        This space is for rent.

Comment

I didn't mean clean as in pure clean tone I just meant a single channel no frills combo to start fresh with that likes pedals alot

Comment

how is the fender deluxe or blues deluxe? I don't think they make em anymore but their cheap on ebay

Comment

I love my Blues Deluxe. Great clean, and some grit if you turn it up.

Ask them about the low impedance input (input 2). It has been giving me trouble on my amp. With a nice set of tubes and a speaker change it could really be a top notch amp. But even without, hard to go wrong at less than 400, 350 if you really look.

Comment

Yeah one of the small fender hot rod type amps for sure, they sound fantastic and arent too expensive.
                My Soundclick page.

Comment

The hot rod deluxe takes pedals better than the blues deluxe, if you plan on using afew. But in my experience, the basic tone of the Blues deluxe is more...full? than the Hot rod deluxe. Its like a Classic 30 with more headroom I guess.

Comment

The Best small Amp for clean that I have ever played through is a Deluxe Reverb. It generates 22 watts, I believe it is a 1 10" speaker. If you set the volume on about 5 the tone is amazing. Good bottom a nice bluesy crunch to it. You can clean it up just by rolling the volume off a little on the guitar. If you put a tubescreamer in front of this with maybe some modulating effects (chorus/delay) I don't think you can ask for more. Great little Amp for most medium to small venues. If you bring the volume up all the way on this Amp, it will tend to get muddy, but using the setup I just described you won't need to run the volume much higher than 5. Use a good OD pedal sort of like a channel switch. It should give you what you are looking for!
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
                      The Best small Amp for clean that I have ever played through is a Deluxe Reverb. It generates 22 watts, I believe it is a 1 10" speaker. If you set the volume on about 5 the tone is amazing. Good bottom a nice bluesy crunch to it. You can clean it up just by rolling the volume off a little on the guitar. If you put a tubescreamer in front of this with maybe some modulating effects (chorus/delay) I don't think you can ask for more. Great little Amp for most medium to small venues. If you bring the volume up all the way on this Amp, it will tend to get muddy, but using the setup I just described you won't need to run the volume much higher than 5. Use a good OD pedal sort of like a channel switch. It should give you what you are looking for!
                      A great amp it has a 12 though not a 10. It also has the classic oversized cab to make carrying your pedals/cables easier.

If you want to throw down the dough also take a look at the Dr. Z's. A maz jr in 2x10 has a distinct clean and dirty tone and they take pedals very well. I can go from classic Zepplin tones to more overdriven stuff all with just my SD booster pedal and my guitar volume. You could also go with a Maz Sr but they are 38 watts and VERY loud but they do come in 1 or 2x12

Luke
                      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Badcat Minicat for sure! Boutique quality for a small price which can easilly keep up with 15W amps. They're just awesome
                        Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
                        Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
                        Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
                        Marshall 2x12 Vintage
                        Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

Working...
                        X