Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fao PEDAL MODDERS - metal film caps?

'lo guys,

will replacing poly film caps in effect circuits with their metal film cousins (same value and everything) be good in general for the sound of the pedal?

i've looked at keeley and indyguitarist, and it seems to be a large part of their work, much like filter caps in amps...

cheers, tom

Re: fao PEDAL MODDERS - metal film caps?

Originally posted by Imp
    'lo guys,

will replacing poly film caps in effect circuits with their metal film cousins (same value and everything) be good in general for the sound of the pedal?

i've looked at keeley and indyguitarist, and it seems to be a large part of their work, much like filter caps in amps...

cheers, tom
    You're going to be pretty limited overall on what you can use because of lack of space on the circuit boards...My favorites are Poly Film CDE Cornel Dublier caps I get from www.mouser.com They're rated for 250v(Overkill) and yet they're small and I Like the tone I get from them...I use these in every mod I do,with the exception of my wahs...I use different caps in the wahs..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I use them in powersupply filters, and for the added bass on the output, most other places I use small orangedrops.
      Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 12-28-2004, 02:08 PM.

Comment

aha! cheers guys

small bear's site is misbehaving... but none of my local shops seem to stock silver mica or metal film *sigh*

cheers, tom

Comment

Originally posted by Imp
          aha! cheers guys

small bear's site is misbehaving... but none of my local shops seem to stock silver mica or metal film *sigh*

cheers, tom
          Tom....Have you tryed www.digikey.com
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
            I use them in powersupply filters, and for the added bass on the output, most other places I use small orangedrops.
            Everyone loves the Orange Drops....They're "HUGE" caps!
            I Like the ODs in my CryBaby mods and in amp and guitar circuits...Especially my BF Fender stuff,but I Like the Mallory 150s in both my Fender and old Marshall amps...

John

Comment

I doubt that you will hear much improvement replacing polypropylene caps with metal film mylar-polyester caps or vise-versa.

Replacing ceramic or electrolytic caps with poly / metal film will yield bigger improvements. Changing the values of coupling capacitors can also be beneficial.
              THE LOST ART OF BEING STOIC
              1. Quit your whining.
              2. Quit your crying.
              3. Suck it up.
              If in doubt, ask yourself: What would Clint do?

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                Tom....Have you tryed www.digikey.com
                My dad brought me home a Digikey cataloge the other day from work (he works for Panasonic) and its the most confussing thing ever, lol. If i wanted to order anything I'd have to sit there with him and ask him what is what because I have no idea, lol.

Comment

i use orange drops and sprague atom caps in the pedals i build. I have liked the sounds i get using those and until i find something else that suits a design i will use those, even if they are huge. Maybe i shoud talk to john about some of these other caps, just to see what they are like.

I do like the sound over the metal film caps i have heard. I seem to get a little smoother and a nice balanced response from the orange drops
                  Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by mrfjones
                    i use orange drops and sprague atom caps in the pedals i build. I have liked the sounds i get using those and until i find something else that suits a design i will use those, even if they are huge. Maybe i shoud talk to john about some of these other caps, just to see what they are like.

I do like the sound over the metal film caps i have heard. I seem to get a little smoother and a nice balanced response from the orange drops
                    There's just no room in any tube screamer or any of the boss pedals for orange drop caps...They take up way too much board space,but they'll work in wah pedals...

John

Comment

thanks for all the pointers and sites guys

mouser emailed back, they ship to the UK as well

i just like poking around inside the pedals i have.. i changed a few bits in my crybaby, its a much thicker, middy 'wah' now..

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                        There's just no room in any tube screamer or any of the boss pedals for orange drop caps...They take up way too much board space,but they'll work in wah pedals...

John

that is wh i haven't modded pedals, i just build from the ground up, and i can fit them on perf board. how is the sound of an ornage drop compared to a mallory in one of the amps you use, if you ever had od's in it.
                        Cleveland Guitars

Comment

ok, lets get this straight. there are 2 types of film caps generally used in audio applications. film foil, and metallized film. film foil are exactly what they say. a film of dielectric and a foil of whatever metal (tin and copper are used quite a bit), then rolled together (or folded etc). metallized film caps, a layer of metal is sputtered/vacuum deposited on a dielectric film. generally, metallized caps dont sound as good as a film foil cap, but they are self healing for overvoltages. but, use your ear and decide which is best for you.

germ
                          Jeremy Ledford
                          Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                          Tone Shop

Comment

Working...
                          X