quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question

well, i plugged my bassman into the stock hotrod speaker (eminence legend 125, but pussed down to 50 watts) and the tone was PERFECT, given it was still an 8 ohm load & i only had it at about 1/3rd the volume

well, within the next couple weeks, I'll be getting a cab with the correct power rating, and because of these results i was thinking a 2x12 partial open back with 2 eminence legend 125's, rated at 75 watts each, instead of the 50 of the stock hotrod speaker

well, 75+75=150, and the load will be correct, so can i assume that i'll be getting pretty much the same volume when it's cranked to gigging volume? Gigging volume for me is close to max, i play LOUD. So i figure if a 50 watt gets me great tone at 1/3rd volume, then 150 will get me close to the same tone will the volume when it's, oh, right before overdriving, which is late since its a cbs amp, so, like 8 out of 10 on the volume knob.

When i was playing it earlier i had the regular volume at 6.5 and the master at 3, but once i match the impedance i can expect a lot more volume & therefore headroom, right?
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Re: quick question

bump

Comment

I dunno about the tonal change... Speaker movement and breakup differ at different volumes AND different wattages. Plus factor power tube behavior in there as well. Tube amps (specially Fenders) tend to get Looser in the low end when you pump the volume up.

You WILL have plenty of headroom there so you can take that amp as loud as you'd like. The extra headroom will probably keep the bass tighter, too.

Comment

bump

Comment

so NO ONE ELSE has any input?

Comment

Working...