Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone tuning stability?

Hi, everyone.

Thank you in advance for giving me guidance.

I purchased an Epiphone Goth les paul studio a couple days ago; the guitar played wonderfully, and I'd been wanting a les paul for months.. but I came home, and I realized that the guitar couldn't hold a tune.

It has Grover tuners, so I thought that they couldn't be the reason for my turmoil. I don't think the truss rod is broken, because the guitar has virtually no frett buzz if I frett the string hard enough, and the action is great.

I was playing my guitar with my tuner on, and I realized that if I hit the low E string, and turn the guitar upside down, the note goes flat.

I thought it could have been the bridge pickup being too close to the strings, but I lowered it, and I have the same symptoms.

What could the problem be? Should I just take the guitar back?

I have another question, I heard that Epiphone sometimes doesn't use the correct woods on their guitars. How could I find if my guitar really has a mahogony body? Is there a way?

Could anyone please help me?

Once again, thank you in advance for helping me, and thank you for reading my winded post.
    Last edited by Omni9X; 12-29-2004, 03:14 AM.

Re: Epiphone tuning stability?

I'm sorry, I answered one of my questions. I used a pencil to put graphite on the nut, and I stretched the strings. The thought of stretching the strings never crossed my mind, and yes, they look new. I'm sorry for the thread.

Thank you, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Omni9X

I have another question, I heard that Epiphone sometimes doesn't use the correct woods on their guitars. How could I find if my guitar really has a mahogony body? Is there a way?
      Take out a pickup and see if there is any bare wood showing. You can also try the control cavity; anything you can unscrew that might get you to bare wood.

Mahogany is very distinctive looking and there are numerous sites with pictures to show you if don't know it by sight.

I've always been hesitant to remove paint, even from these hidden areas, but if you really have to know...
      Last edited by skh515; 12-29-2004, 01:09 PM.
      Steve
      I don't mean to offend, I just have a knack for it.

Duncans used; Lil '59, Ducky & Hotrail in my Mahogany Hardtail Strat;
      Brobucker and Cool Rail are on hold for future projects.

:banana: :rocket: "Dance Banana Boy, Dance!"

Comment

Originally posted by Omni9X

Could anyone please help me?

Once again, thank you in advance for helping me, and thank you for reading my winded post.

If it sounds good to you unplugged, does it really matter what wood is under the finish?
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

my new EX400 has similar tuning problems, i think it's jsut the strings but idk, it also came w/ grover tuners so i assumed the same thing about it staying in tune. mine also has the Earvana compensated nut, idk i hope it's just the new factory strings that weren't strerched properly in compination w/ the cold weather and the poor temperature control in my room...

Comment

I confirmed that it was just the strings.. Stretching them never crossed my mind..

I actually got a new guitar with new strings! wow

anyway, I am planning on replacing the electronics on the guitar, and if it's made of alder throughout, or similar.. a JB with 500K pots would sound a bit shrill.

I wanted a mahogany guitar to go with my Fenders.

Also, there's a rough spot where the fretboard joins the neck, like it wasn't completely glued flush.

Is that going to be a problem with delamination?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X