banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So whats so bad about a bolt-on neck anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So whats so bad about a bolt-on neck anyway?

Originally posted by doctadre
    It is all about how the guitar feels and how easily it plays. bolt on necks like fenders, ibanez, they are a bit bulky, but have more tone than a setneck because it is more of a wood to wood connection. A les paul will sound warmer, muddier and not as bright because there is a layer of glue between the neck and body, and glue doesnt transmit tone well at all.
    I'd have to disagree. Glue does change the tone over a bolt-on, but I think it's a myth that glue doesn't "transmit" sound very well. We're not talking about a two inch thick layer of glue, we're talking about a very thin layer of glue.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I was a firm advocate of set neck/neck thru guitars until about 1994, at which time I bought my first Strat. The neck joint required some getting used to, but aside from that, I now play guitars with both types of necks. It's all about what you're hearing and what you're comfortable playing.
      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Dr. Frankenstein's creature had an affinity for bolt-on necks!
        ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

I've been slightly gassing for a Godin SP90 Goldtop. It's a bolt on, but the way they string through the body, I'm guessing the sustain is still there. I've never heard one person that didn't like a Godin they bought and owned for a while.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

My biggest gripe with bolt on fenders is that you never really know if you're getting an all-original if you buy used.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

There is not a thing in the world wrong with a bolt on neck IMO besides it is harder to access the frets at the bottom of the neck and I am never there anyway LOL. If you ever needed to replace a set neck, you are screwed!!

Tyler
              "Luther played the boogie in the strangest kinda way"

-Johnny Cash 1956 "Luther's Boogie"

Comment

Working...
              X