Learning to set-up a guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to set-up a guitar...

I want to learn to set-up my guitar properly, intonation, string height, bridge springs (it's a strat), etc. Does anyone know good books or websites that explain how to do all of these things?
    :banana: :banana: :dance: :banana: :banana:

Re: Learning to set-up a guitar...

This is a link to a PDF from Fender's Mr Gearhead called 5 steps to great guitar setup.

Guitar Setup PDF
    ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

yup - dan erlewine's "how to make your electric guitar play great" .. less than $14 from amazon .. his other one is great too

good luck
      t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

yeah, Mr. Gearhead is the best place to start for a strat...

a lot of the rest is trial and error, finding how one thing affects another, such as the trem screws in the rear affecting the height and feel of the trem

Mr Gearhead shows some of the tools you'll need - feeler gauges, a 6" metal General rule, and a good tuner
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
          yup - dan erlewine's "how to make your electric guitar play great" .. less than $14 from amazon .. his other one is great too

good luck
          t4d
          I'd recommend this book as well. He covers all the bases (and then some) and shows you how to make homeade tools, tips and tricks, etc. A great investment for just a little coin.

Comment

I did a post on Intonation in the Vault, which is on Rainmaker's thread. That'll teach you how to intonate a guitar to perfection.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Anything from Dan Erlewine is going to be first rate. That's the Amazon stuff that was linked above.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT TO EVERYONE! I reference it now and then still after having it a few years.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

The biggest thing is to not be afraid to give it a try. Slow, small steps are the way to do it.

Remember, no matter how messed up you think you'll make it, there's a tech right around the corner to correct your mal-adjustments.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Try 21frets.com
                  It has tons of info on setting up a guitar, schematics, and a lot of little helpful tips. It is a great source for anything you need to know about guitars.

Tyler
                  "Luther played the boogie in the strangest kinda way"

-Johnny Cash 1956 "Luther's Boogie"

Comment

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm has a few good guides.

As Scott_F said, just do it. After your first job (or two) you'll be comfortable with everything and you'll be able to do the same job a tech would, minus the cost.
                    I have become, comfortably numb.

Comment

That book by Dan Erlewine was one of the books I was looking at on www.bn.com

Can someone tell me what the difference between these two books is though?

Comment

Wow i shoulda just bought a book, i cant believe i spent so much to have it done at a shop!
                        Epiphone Les Paul Studio (59 neck and JB bridge)
                        Marshall Valvestate 8080 (80 watts)
                        Korg AX1500G multi-fx
                        RAT
                        Boss PH-1r
                        Ibanez cf-7
                        Ibanwz ts-7
                        Danelectro tremolo
                        Vintage RAT - needs a fix!

Not much else - it does the job

Dooogz is taking a break from SD - ill be back soon crew!

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch
                          That book by Dan Erlewine was one of the books I was looking at on www.bn.com

Can someone tell me what the difference between these two books is though?

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...79302917&itm=1
                          Can anyone help me decide between these two books? My local Barnes and Nobles/Borders Book stores dont have either one.

Comment

the 'how to make you electric guitar play great' book is focused on electrics with good tips for dealing with problems that come up ... the other is more comprehensive and includes acoustics

if i had to pick one, i'd get the 'electric' one

cheers
                            t4d
                            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Working...
                            X