banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anything that can be done to cut amp power in 1/2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything that can be done to cut amp power in 1/2?

I was wondering if it's possible to cut my amps power from 100 to 50w without altering the tone.

I remember something about removing two output tubes, but I don't know how to do it and I want to make sure it's safe first. (the amp is far too expensive to risk damaging the transformers or anything else)

I know that my amp is killer when it's pushed all the way, I just wish I could get it that far without killing myself or anyone else in the 10 mile radius.

Any suggestions (besides getting an amp with less power)? Thanks
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: Is there anything that can be done to cut amp power in 1/2?

I forgot to mention I have 4 EL-34 power tubes (if that makes a difference).
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.

Comment

What kind of amp did you have?

I asked a question about this before because I wanted to know if you could cut the power in half for a 5150 II and someone mentioned to me about pulling the power tubes as well. DON'T take my word on this as I know little of tubes amps, but I was told by someone to pull the 2 inside tubes or the 2 outside tubes. I don't know if this was only for that amp of any tube amp.
      -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
      Vox VT15
      Washburn D10SCE
      Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

The easiest fix is to buy a THD Hot Plate. The Attenuation is great and smooth. It easily tamed by SLO-100, which is a loud ferocious beast.
        Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
          I was wondering if it's possible to cut my amps power from 100 to 50w without altering the tone.

I remember something about removing two output tubes, but I don't know how to do it and I want to make sure it's safe first. (the amp is far too expensive to risk damaging the transformers or anything else)

I know that my amp is killer when it's pushed all the way, I just wish I could get it that far without killing myself or anyone else in the 10 mile radius.

Any suggestions (besides getting an amp with less power)? Thanks
          Often times, you can pull the 2 outside power tubes, but you will need to check with an amp tech. I know that I can do that with my Soldano, but that doesn't mean you can do it with yours. That would be the most inexpensive fix.
          Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

You can pull the two outside or inside power tubes and lower the ohm on your amp by 1/2 the amount, meaning if it was set to 16 move it to 8 ect.
            Half power does not mean half volume, there is 3 db difference between a
            100 plexi and a 50 watt plexi. You will get earlier breakup and a bit less bottom but for all practical purposes the volume will knock your head off with the amp wide open. I would get a Weber Mass or a Hotplate, that will do what your are seeking.
            ]
            FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

kevlar, this has probably been asked a million times, but does the weber mass alter your tone? (i thought i read somewhere that it was the best out there)

i originally didn't want something like that because if i push my amp to get distortion, my cleans may suffer, but it seems the only way to really get tone.

thanks for the responses guys

Comment

I did not like the weber. You can have 1/2 power mods done. That would make your tone a little softer though, but you can eq that out. I thought the weber made my tone muddy and dark. But other love it. I tried mine with my jcm 800. I finally just got a mode done to get my juice from my preamp tubes. Now I can turn the gain on 2 then turn up my master to smooth it out.
                Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
                Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
                Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
                Epiphone LP Special w/JB
                Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
                Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
                1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
                Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                  kevlar, this has probably been asked a million times, but does the weber mass alter your tone? (i thought i read somewhere that it was the best out there)

i originally didn't want something like that because if i push my amp to get distortion, my cleans may suffer, but it seems the only way to really get tone.

thanks for the responses guys
                  I would much rather have the fullness of my power tubes going than the snizzle of only pre tubes giving distortion. I don't hear any mud with the Weber and my amps, I played last night with a band and it is extremely similiar minus a bit of sustain to the tone I get when I have the Weber bypassed. If you have the Mass or your master volume set to 1 or 2 (bedroom level) you will definately hear coloration of tone but only one option gets your power tubes cooking.. But for band level play I couldn't be happier. My Plexi, Traynor, or Carlsbro will drown out the drums if I do not attenuate, it is louder than shi! If volume management is your goal I don't think the 50 watt is gonna do a thing for you, you would need to knock it to 20 or so to have it fit the mix.

Here is a very quick sample I recorded with the Weber. Nothing fancy, just trying to get some tones weber clip
                  Last edited by kevlar3000; 04-08-2004, 10:33 AM.
                  ]
                  FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Awesome playing Kev! The clip sounded sweet. The Weber idea might not be so bad after all. (definitely seems like a good option)

I thought cutting the power in half would make all the difference... I guess it's not so big after all. With the Triamp, I do cut the watts from 100 -> 80 just by putting it through my 16ohm cab. Maybe if I cut it in half, 40w will be much more reasonable. It's definitely something to look at doing. I'm not sure who would be good to go to in my area or what prices I'm looking at though : /

Comment

Kevlars right on. Since your amp has an FX loop, I'd go buy a used Alesis Nanoverb
                      for $60, set the input just right, mix some reverb nice and low for some air,
                      and use the Nanoverb's output as your amp's universal volume control.
                      That way you can have your amp's controls set where you like them, and knock some of the volume off. Also, the nanoverb doesn't color your tone, actually makes it sound a little bigger, since it's adding a bit of ambience. I just mix in enough to emulate a spring reverb turned way down.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

So with the Nanoverb, I really can get full on power tube distortion without killing everyone as long as the volume control is turned far down on the Nanoverb?

Comment

IM not surebut would a marshall power break be the same as a hot plate? i knwo tis suppossed to help keep your tone the same when tis cranked and volume down so no one is killed in the line of fire
                          Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

I'd go for a MASS. Pulling power tubes will work, but it'll reduce the woodiness and complex bottom end of your tone.

Comment

i have a mass and i think its a great thing. i use it with my twin most of the time but sometimes the marshall. i only use it for moderate attenuation, too much and i think you lose something. i think the mass is as good or better than the hotplate.

ive pulled tubes as well and it works to some extent. it wont drop you from 100w to 50 but itll drop you to maybe 65w or so. on class a/b amps with 4 power tubes working in a push/pull config (like fender and marshall) you can pull either the inner or outer pair of tubes and itll work ok, might not be the best for your amp but ive never had a problem doing it to my amps. if ya do pull tubes, switch your impedance to have what it should be, so if youre running an 8 ohm cab put the amp on 4 ohms

Comment

Working...
                              X