Amp Problem revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Problem revisited

Well for some reason ,all the noise that my amp was making for about 2 days after being dropped, has finnally gone away.

It does seem like the Hush unit has to be turned up just slightly higher than before, but now the only real issue I have is that is sounds like it has this REAL SLIGHT flange sound to it or like it is being doubled. This is just slight but enough for me to notice it.

The fact the other noise went away leads me to beleive that it may have been the tubes, so could this cause the current problem also?

Re: Amp Problem revisited

Turn the unit off, and bang the reverb tank a bit, make sure it has a little give to it (they shouldn't be locked down super tight) ... that's if you have reverb (a tank locked down real tight tend to pick up speaker vibrations real easy). Secondly, if it a kinda of metallic ringing (although slight) it may be a preamp tube starting to go microphonic, if it's a metallic rattling sound on the lower notes it may be the power tubes internal elements (or preamp's) being vibrated acoustically. This can happen as tubes wear, from excessive vibration and getting knocked around (via drops or transporting), even from tube sockets coming loose mechanically from the chassis. Hard to tell, you can do the standard tests for microphonic tubes (gently tapping on them).
    You might want to go to the Boogie site, as they used to be a whole bunch of simple diagnostic tests listed under amp up-keep in the pdf owner's manuals, the apply to basically all tube designs.
    Seriously, if it keeps giving you problems take it to the shop.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Re: Amp Problem revisited

Thanks Kent,

It's not reallly a metalic sound though, just sounds kinda doubled or flanging, or even just kinda 3 dimensional if that makes any sense, but it is just slight enough to be noticed.

The tubes were pretty new, but as I said in one of my other threads, It was dropped. I'm gonna fool with the tubes for a while and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
      X