Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm an idiot.

Remember my non-Gibson SG thread?

Well after doing some research I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to chance a real Gibson falling apart because of bad design. Also, if i ever meet TLD, he won't be able to break my guitar by looking at it.

So I decided to do the only thing more idiotic than looking for a better built copy of a Gibson SG.

After I earn my 2nd university degree which I'm starting next year, I'm going to build a better SG, from scratch. Slightly thicker body, bigger/more solid neck joint, nice chunky volute under the truss rod access. Possibly with a flamed maple top and a nice burst to go with it.

Yes, my graduation present to myself will be planks of wood.

Re: I'm an idiot.

nothing wrong with any of that. of course the more you change it, the less sg like itll sound

Comment

not gonna change it much...figured I'd add a 1/4" maple top to it to bring the whole body thickness to just under 1 3/4", a little bit thinner than a strat/tele. may even do a very subtle carve like the SG Diablo.

I realize i'll be changing up the fundamentals of the SG style, especially with the neck tenon size, but I also think it'll make a fantastic sounding guitar.

Comment

A real gibson SG is not going to fall apart unless you abuse the hell out of it! lol
        Its a guitar design that has stood the test of time for thousands and thousands of players both amateur and pro alike.
        The internet has a lot to answer for as far as myths and rumors are concerned.

Still, if you want to build an axe from scratch for the fun of having a project, go for it and enjoy.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          A real gibson SG is not going to fall apart unless you abuse the hell out of it! lol
          Its a guitar design that has stood the test of time for thousands and thousands of players both amateur and pro alike.

Still, if you want to build an axe from scratch for the fun of having a project, go for it and enjoy.
          My thoughts exactly. I've had an SG, and gigged the **** out of it. It was a workhorse that thing was.

But yeah man, looking forward to the build! Rock on!
          - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            nothing wrong with any of that. of course the more you change it, the less sg like itll sound
            + 1
            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

That is what I'm basically going to do too. I won't change much at all though, just a CRAP LOAD of reinforcement where the headstock meets the neck, a shallower headstock angle, and maybe a really thick neck/area under the truss rod.

Comment

Just read your other thread...

Take a look at the mid to upper level ESP/LTD Vipers. They might be ugly to you, but they fit your requirements. At least play one and see what you think.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                  Oh, I don't know about that. I can't tell you how many times I've seen SG's fall apart on stage; the guy's playing along minding his own business, and all of a sudden there's a big noise and he's holding a handfull of strings and a dangling PU, with a pile of kindling wood at his feet. Happens all the time, man. At festivals, if you go behind the stage, they'll be a mound of miscellaneous SG parts as high as your chin. They just keep tossing them on there, band after band. They know it's going to happen, so they contract a trash removal service to come by on the Monday afterwards and use a bulldozer to load it into a dump truck, I swear to god...
                  "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                    Just read your other thread...

Take a look at the mid to upper level ESP/LTD Vipers. They might be ugly to you, but they fit your requirements. At least play one and see what you think.
                    I like you, and you're cool, but no. Those things are hideous. Aside from that I don't jive with ESP necks and their jumbo frets.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                      Oh, I don't know about that. I can't tell you how many times I've seen SG's fall apart on stage; the guy's playing along minding his own business, and all of a sudden there's a big noise and he's holding a handfull of strings and a dangling PU, with a pile of kindling wood at his feet. Happens all the time, man. At festivals, if you go behind the stage, they'll be a mound of miscellaneous SG parts as high as your chin. They just keep tossing them on there, band after band. They know it's going to happen, so they contract a trash removal service to come by on the Monday afterwards and use a bulldozer to load it into a dump truck, I swear to god...
                      LOL

I just want to know that if the guitar accidentally takes a fall or an impact, it's not going to be a write off.

Comment

It's likely that my first neck-through build will be a lot like that, except I won't need the huge neck joint. I'm thinking it will be a sort of tribute to Tony Iommi.
                        My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                        The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                        Originally posted by CTN
                        I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                        FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

What is all this about SGs falling apart?
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Ever try an old Yamaha?

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
                              Ever try an old Yamaha?
                              I still have one - the headstock was professionally re-attached...
                              Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Working...
                              X