banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

maple necks warp without a proper finish....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maple necks warp without a proper finish....

at least that's what it says on the warmoth site, so they wont warranty any maple neck without a hard finish...
    But musicman do oil finishes on the axis maple necks and they seem to hold up fine. In fact, people rave about how nice the necks are...
    So whats the deal?
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Re: maple necks warp without a proper finish....

I was just reading that and thinking the same thing about my EVH Wolfgang and Charvel the other day. I came to the conclusion that they just want you to pay them to put on one of their finishes.

Comment

Any neck can warp.

MAple is harder than most

Warmoth is just CYA
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

or maybe they are just covering their asses...
        i guess if an aftermarket neck warps over time tho, its not that expensive just to buy an new one and repeat the process! Mebbe warmoth just don't want 20 year old warped necks returned to them which i think is fair enough.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

what is CYA ace?
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
            or maybe they are just covering their asses...
            what is CYA ace?
            You already said it: Cover Your Ass.

And stop calling me "Ace."
            Originally posted by DreX
            Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
            The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
            There's no substance to anything I have posted.
            Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
            I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Despite maple's density and hardness it is more susceptible to moving with environmental changes than many other woods. Most of the time, even with a thin oil finish they'll be ok. Double truss rod, good thick carve, and a hard fretboard help alot too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vegetable View Post
                You already said it: Cover Your Ass.

And stop calling me "Ace."
                my bad. lol
                can i call you veg?
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I think they're mainly covering their asses, though it probably can happen with the right (or wrong, rather) piece of wood and the right/wrong humidity changes. I live in southern CA, which is pretty consistent in terms of humidity throughout the year, so it's not a tough environment on wood. I have played a bare maple neck, without any oil, even, for close to 20 years, and it plays great aside from the fact that it needs to be refretted, and it's a bit dingy. It even suffered water damage at one point. It split down by the truss rod nut, and I was sure it was a goner, but it dried up fine. It's the white '85 MIJ Strat in this pic:

Last edited by ItsaBass; 10-31-2012, 08:27 PM.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    That's a mighty fine collection you got there. (Drool.......) love the '85!
                    Originally posted by everdrone
                    I have gas probz myselfs

Comment

my bad. lol
                      can i call you veg?
                      Many do. The rest call me Chris.
                      Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
                      The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                      There's no substance to anything I have posted.
                      Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
                      I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Carvel necks are Quarter sawn. A Quarter sawn neck is less prone to warping. IDK about the others. Like Ace said, I bet Wamoth is just CYA.
                        "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

I had an unfinished neck from Warmoth warp really badly before I got around to finishing it once. Also had an unfinished body from Carvin crack right down the middle before I got around to sealing and finishing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Megagwar View Post
                            That's a mighty fine collection you got there. (Drool.......) love the '85!
                            Thanks, man. It's now back to the way it was when I got it. Black three ply guard with EMGs. The neck project is still incomplete, and has been for over a year, because I'm lazy and have other projects going on. I'm refretting it, reshaping the truss rod plug to a more "vintage" shape, and then coating it with Tru Oil, or maybe just rattle can lacquer. The neck was the selling point of the guitar for me. V profile with a 7-1/4 radius and small frets, just like I like 'em! The red and blue Strats have variations of the same profile, and the same frets.

Here is a pic of what it looks like now:

(The 11-hole anodized guard is for sale, BTW.)
                            Last edited by ItsaBass; 10-31-2012, 08:33 PM.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

In reality, they're fine without a finish. And if a neck warps, there are ways of fixing it permanently or compensating for it. An oil finish would do just fine with maple as it puts something into the pores so moisture is more regulated and consistent; not affected by humidity as much. Just Warmoth trying to cover their assests incase something happens so they don't have to take the blame, and to sacre you to spend the ~$100 on a finish.

IMO Warmoth neck finishes are not worth the money because the 'satin nitrocellulose' finish is polyurethane, and it becomes glossy and dull very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X