will sg with maple quilt top sound different than a reg sg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will sg with maple quilt top sound different than a reg sg

i was wondering if anyone had experience with playing or hearing an sg with a quilt top on it and if they had does it sound different than a regular all mahogany sg. and if it did what was the difference between the tone?

Re: will sg with maple quilt top sound different than a reg sg

It will sound slightly brighter, that's the effect of a maple top.

Comment

will it sound more like an lp?

Comment

Originally posted by natelc1979 View Post
        you know... Les Pauls are pretty heavy guitars. there is much more wood in them than SGs. Also, remember the neck woods matter too.

It'll sound like an SG with more sharpness than usual.

Comment

Originally posted by natelc1979 View Post
          No, LP's have a lot of thick mahogany on them, which gives them more low-end and sustain. SG's can't quite do that with their thin bodies. The single cutaway/double cutaway designs also make a difference.

Of course individual pieces of wood vary, so some all-mahogany SG's could sound brighter than one with a quilt top. But everything else being equal, maple makes for a brighter, tighter sound.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I've never seen a production SG with a maple top.
            Does anyone know of such a thing or have pics?

FWIW, I'm not overly fond of SGs, but Ex-Nihilo on MLP custom made a carved top, faded burst SG that was absolutely gorgeous.
            MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
            Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Originally posted by MojoMonster View Post
              I've never seen a production SG with a maple top.
              Does anyone know of such a thing or have pics?

FWIW, I'm not overly fond of SGs, but Ex-Nihilo on MLP custom made a carved top, faded burst SG that was absolutely gorgeous.
              Gibson posts maple topped SG's on their facebook page all the time.
              My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
              The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
              Originally posted by CTN
              I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
              FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Originally posted by youngthrasher9 View Post
                Gibson posts maple topped SG's on their facebook page all the time.
                Pics?
                Model names?
                Not doubting you, but I perused their Facebook and didn't see any.
                MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
                Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Pics?
                  Model names?
                  SG Supreme

Comment

Pics?
                    Model names?
                    just google SG Supreme and a crap ton should pop up

Edit:

Jolly beat me by mere seconds!
                    Last edited by Edgecrusher; 11-02-2012, 11:58 AM.
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                      SG Supreme
                      just google SG Supreme and a crap ton should pop up
                      Edit:
                      Jolly beat me by mere seconds!
                      Awesome guys, thanks.
                      Yea, now that I see it, I remember.
                      Mostly I recall that flame burst finish.

I found this while searching.
                      Was the SG Carved Top Autumn Burst a custom shop creation?
                      MM

Comment

While the Supremes have a flamed top, isn't it a veneer? Seems like it would be too thin to be a real maple top.
                        -=The Dali
                        --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

I have a Gibson Raw Power SG which is all-maple. Body, neck, fingerboard, everything. GIbson says it's chambered but it really isn't. Even it doesn't sound that much different than a normal mahogany/rosewood SG. You notice the difference but it's nothing major. It affects more to the way the guitar feels. The attack of the notes is abit snappier and it feels stiffer but sound-wise not so much.
                          Originally posted by Jamie Hyneman
                          When in doubt... C4
                          "Biologists think they are biochemists,
                          Biochemists think they are Physical Chemists,
                          Physical Chemists think they are Physicists,
                          Physicists think they are Gods,
                          And God thinks he is a Mathematician."

"Physicists defer only to mathematicians, mathematicians defer only to God."

Comment

I don't think it'll brighten up.

Yes a LP with a maple top sounds brighter than one with a mahogany top. But...
                            • ... that's a thick carved top, but thin veneer. The latter probably only dampens
                            • ... the mahogany top LP has a glued on top and isn't a one-piece thing
                            • ... an SG is extremely thin

Comment

In theory, I think it would make quite a difference. I would think this because the SG is already thin, and the body-to-top ratio would be less than it would on a Les Paul, so the maple top would have a more drastic effect. No idea on if it really is as big of a difference as it seems.

Comment

Working...
                              X