Ts-9 .......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ts-9 .......

I just started using my Ts-9 with the gain channel of my amp . I used to just use it as a 3rd channel with the clean on the amp and got a real good cruch sound with it.

But now that I am using it to slam the input, it gives me a real midrangy thick, tone no matter what I set the tone control to. Is that normal when doing this?

I'm not saying it sounds bad cause it doesn't I just wondered if that is charecteristic for it to be midrangy like that.

Re: Ts-9 .......

The TS-9 has a midrange hump - now way around it, really, that I know of, other than getting it modded. Analogman does a silver mod that takes some of he mids out. John Spina (STRATDELUXER97) does great mods, too. Maybe he will chime in! If not, send him a private message.
    Last edited by jmcorey; 01-02-2005, 05:41 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

BTW, what amp do you have, and what guitar? With some amps it sounds great!

Comment

Originally posted by Cazmarzak
        I just started using my Ts-9 with the gain channel of my amp . I used to just use it as a 3rd channel with the clean on the amp and got a real good cruch sound with it.

But now that I am using it to slam the input, it gives me a real midrangy thick, tone no matter what I set the tone control to. Is that normal when doing this?

I'm not saying it sounds bad cause it doesn't I just wondered if that is charecteristic for it to be midrangy like that.
        Yes...The TS9 and most of the TS line have what people call a "midrange hump"..
        A stock Tube Screamer is a great pedal,but has a couple of downfalls in my opinion...1 is that you lose a considerable amount of bass when you kick the pedal in and that midrange hump...

A Modded TS9 has more lows,more gain,is quieter,has the better chip,and the output section resistors of the 808...You still have that midrange peak there,but it isn't as noticible because you now have added lows and low mids..

I like a stock TS9 and I could still use one that way,but the modded ones are just too much better overall and I'm spoiled now! LOL

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

to me, mids are exactly what you need for a solo boost, which is one of the reasons that tubescreamers have been so popular over the years
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
            to me, mids are exactly what you need for a solo boost, which is one of the reasons that tubescreamers have been so popular over the years
            I agree...I find not only mids,but highs also in a loud band...

John
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I use it with a Dsl-50 and to behonest, I love the sound of it and it isn't moded. I used it with just the clean channel for a couple tunes we did , Poem and a few others if I remember, and it just sounded Awesome!

Now that I'm using it in a differnt way, I do like it like that, it's not a bad sound and I was able to get a really good sound close to Dokkens Under Lock and KEy for the solo sounds with it.

Comment

Working...
              X