Help! Guitar electronics problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Guitar electronics problem

Okay.......I come to you guys first because i don't fully trust the guys at the local music store/myself for that matter.

My Epi Standard Les Paul's lower, bottom right tone control(if you are holding it in your lap)..does not work properly. I noticed this a few days ago when I turned on the overdrive channel. The sound did not distort enough, or mainly any at all,...and I have a JB in the bridge...A few minutes ago it cut on for a sec...and had normal distortion for 2 secs...but then cut back off and stayed off ever since.

Is it a problem with just the tone knob...or with electronics altogether?

Thanks again

Re: Help! Guitar electronics problem

Also..i think im just going to totally replace my Epi's electronics.
    Here is where I'm gonna order the parts from....

Im going to get the standard Gibson replacement parts.
    If i take it in to the local music store, you think they could do it for me...or should i just do it by myself.

Also..if i were going to do the electronics by myself...what kind of wire do I need to buy with it?

Comment

I don't know much about Gibson's but it sounds like a wire is loose or something is touching in there. I wouldn't even know how to check the wires to the tone pot on a Les Paul.
      "Luther played the boogie in the strangest kinda way"

-Johnny Cash 1956 "Luther's Boogie"

Comment

first thing i'd do is check all the solder joints and make sure nothing's loose. if that doesn't solve the problem then try replacing the pot that's giving you trouble. i believe les pauls call for 500k pots.

a new pot would only run you a couple of bucks, and if you know how to solder then it will be simple to swap a new one right in.
        gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
        '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
        mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
        marshall 1960A 4x12
        and a few pedals

Comment

Working...
        X