Charvel Pro mod question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Pro mod question.

Sorry to dredge up an old issue.. I searched old threads and didnt find this particular answer.. there was alot of talk about the US vs Japanese issue. But my question is this:

Has any played both the So cal and san dimas in the Japanese run? Better yet, anyone played both with similar pups?

I assume the necks are the same. Im wondering if the bodies are about the same size and if the tone/sustain is similar between the So cal and san dimas, aside from the pickups?

Thanks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Charvel Pro mod question.

All things considered, the Japanese models are better quality. The Paint is better, the fret work, and the rolled edges.

I don't care for the color of the Japanese necks compared to the US versions, and the "Made in Japan" does not belong on a Charvel IMO.

Nothing wrong with Japanese guitars of course, just that Charvel is like Football and apple pie, pure USA.
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

LOL! No Bro, I wasnt asking about Japan VS Us. Tho I agree completely that the Made in Japan should have at least been kept to the back, and I prefer the coloration of the USA necks. But my Japanese made one is FAST becoming my fav guitar. The neck is butter.. Ive actually read and heard the fretwork is better on the japanese ones, PLUS, Im a fan boy of old Japanese Kramers and Charvels even tho back in the day I hated them cuz they were supposed to be Made in US!! But they kick ARSE!!

This thread was strictly to compare the SO Cal to the San Dimas.. Same size body? much diff in tone? aside from the Dimarzio vs duncans.

Thanks for the input tho!!
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Oh, can't help ya there...

Of the 10 or so Pro Mods I have/had, none were So Cals.
        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Man any time someone talks about the So Cals I start thinking of selling my Ibanez 20th Ann RG 550 RFR just to get a So Cal. The red or a white ones would be perfect.
          http://www.lonephantom.com
          http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
            Sorry to dredge up an old issue.. I searched old threads and didnt find this particular answer.. there was alot of talk about the US vs Japanese issue. But my question is this:

Has any played both the So cal and san dimas in the Japanese run? Better yet, anyone played both with similar pups?

I assume the necks are the same. Im wondering if the bodies are about the same size and if the tone/sustain is similar between the So cal and san dimas, aside from the pickups?

Thanks
            Yes, I played both. I have the USA one and a friend of mine has the Japanesse one.

To me, Japanesse hands off!!!.

Why?.

Same build quality, same electronics quality, Dimarzio or SD pickups.
            The Japanesse has some kind of laterally carved frets that help for a better playing.
            The Japanesse include a hard case, while the USA includes nothing.

Same quality, cheaper price and upgraded options.
            Hands down, the Japanesse!.
            My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
            My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Originally posted by hermetico View Post
              Yes, I played both. I have the USA one and a friend of mine has the Japanesse one.

To me, Japanesse hands off!!!.

Why?.

Same build quality, same electronics quality, Dimarzio or SD pickups.
              The Japanesse has some kind of laterally carved frets that help for a better playing.
              The Japanesse include a hard case, while the USA includes nothing.

Same quality, cheaper price and upgraded options.
              Hands down, the Japanesse!.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, again I prefer my Japanese made one, mostly for the hard case and definately lower cost.

But my questions arent US vs Japanese, it So cal vs San Dimas. body size the same? The So cals look bigger in pics to me. Are do they sound similar, except the dimarzios vs duncan? Meaning, if I have a so cal and san D, and have the same pups in them both, will they sound very close?

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                Thanks for the info! Yeah, again I prefer my Japanese made one, mostly for the hard case and definately lower cost.

But my questions arent US vs Japanese, it So cal vs San Dimas. body size the same? The So cals look bigger in pics to me. Are do they sound similar, except the dimarzios vs duncan? Meaning, if I have a so cal and san D, and have the same pups in them both, will they sound very close?
                They play exactly the same. The only difference is that the So Cal has a pickguard (and DMZ, instead of SD) and this could allow further wiring mods without routing the guitar. That's all.
                Other than the scaloped frets edge and the two mentioned above, no other difference. Same body shape, same neck shape, same sizes, same lengths.
                My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Originally posted by hermetico View Post
                  They play exactly the same. The only difference is that the So Cal has a pickguard (and DMZ, instead of SD) and this could allow further wiring mods without routing the guitar. That's all.
                  Other than the scaloped frets edge and the two mentioned above, no other difference. Same body shape, same neck shape, same sizes, same lengths.
                  What I figured. are you saying the san dima doesnt have the same fret edges? (I thought the necks were all the same) Or are you refrerencing US vs Japan again? The neck on my my Japanese So Cal is perfect, so I want the same neck again, but wanted to get a san d.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                  X