Numbing of hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbing of hand

I didn't know where to post this so I figured here was as good as any because it 'is' guitar related.

Recently I've been experiencing a numbing of the left hand while playing intensely. I'm right handed. It's starting to trouble me so I thought I'd ask around.

I'll be running through scales for prolonged periods and the hand just starts to go to sleep. I think it's related to guitar height and orientation. It's difficult to play up on the neck on the lower strings and I'm thinking I'm placing my hand in a bad position while doing this. I don't hang the guitar low at all because it's much easier to play when it's up higher.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Re: Numbing of hand

I have this every once in a while. When this happens, take a break! Start stretching before playing, find some warm up exercises. Don't push through it, that leads to carpal tunnel. Try not to clench the neck.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

If this is happening regularly, you DO have carpal tunnel syndrome. It will only get worse and start to affect other activities as well. Not to fear (too much) however. Surgery, when necessary, is very effective at curing this with very little resultant side effect. I had to have the surgery in both wrists about 25 years ago and it's one of the best things i have ever done.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Now that I know what's going on I'm a little relieved. Although I'd be more relieved if it wasn't for the cost of surgery. I may never have it done.

I did find the culprit though. My cell phone started this trend. You see, I've been out of playing for about 10 years and just recently (3 months ago) picked it up again when a friend goaded me into it. Bless his heart, I'm very glad he did. I began practicing like mad fool on steroids. The cell phone, which I didn't have 10 years ago hangs on my belt on the left side. This position wasn't allowing my elbow to move close to my body for better positioning. When I discovered this I didn't realize it was related to my hand going numb. It was just crowding my elbow. About a week ago I moved the cell phone to the right side on my belt. Not realizing 'again' what was happening this position crowded the guitar body when I swung the guitar over in that direction for better positioning while playing higher on the neck. Not being able to reposition the guitar where I wanted it made the hand go numb even faster than before and I think caused me to sprain my wrist.

To make a long story shorter... today, after I read the replies here, it dawned on me what had happened. I immediately put my guitar on, took off the cell phone and was able to position the guitar where I could take the strain off the wrist while playing up higher. Taking the advice above. I'm going easy until the wrist heals up.

Thank you for the replies

Comment

one of my playing buddies has the same problem
          after years of playing
          he suddenly started making proper chords instead of the two finger bars that he had used for years
          now his sloppy positioning has his left hand hurting

good luck
          someone should probably post pics of proper hand position
          for our younger forumites
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

You should jack off more to exercise your hand muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by verbotenco View Post
              You should jack off more to exercise your hand muscles.
              Sounds like your speaking from experience here.
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I used to get that when I started gigging after many years break.

I put it down to being too tense and after learning to relax, especially for the first few songs, it went away.

Make sure you are not wearing anything constricting at the armpits ....
                👣
                👣
                💀

Comment

...or around the neck. I find that very unnerving, and it makes more than just the hands go numb.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Numbing of hand

Repetitive stress injury. It's a matter of poor ergonomics. You need to adjust the position in which you play because something about it is causing nerve and vascular damage. My advice? Seek out an occupational health & safety person who is trained on ergonomic assessments to help you adjust your positioning. If you keep it up, you are eventually never going to play again.
                    -
                    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Herby View Post
                      Now that I know what's going on I'm a little relieved. Although I'd be more relieved if it wasn't for the cost of surgery. I may never have it done.

I did find the culprit though. My cell phone started this trend. You see, I've been out of playing for about 10 years and just recently (3 months ago) picked it up again when a friend goaded me into it. Bless his heart, I'm very glad he did. I began practicing like mad fool on steroids. The cell phone, which I didn't have 10 years ago hangs on my belt on the left side. This position wasn't allowing my elbow to move close to my body for better positioning. When I discovered this I didn't realize it was related to my hand going numb. It was just crowding my elbow. About a week ago I moved the cell phone to the right side on my belt. Not realizing 'again' what was happening this position crowded the guitar body when I swung the guitar over in that direction for better positioning while playing higher on the neck. Not being able to reposition the guitar where I wanted it made the hand go numb even faster than before and I think caused me to sprain my wrist.

To make a long story shorter... today, after I read the replies here, it dawned on me what had happened. I immediately put my guitar on, took off the cell phone and was able to position the guitar where I could take the strain off the wrist while playing up higher. Taking the advice above. I'm going easy until the wrist heals up.

Thank you for the replies
                      Sometimes the solutions are so simple that we overlook them for a while. Glad to hear things sound like they are working for you again.
                      Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
                      I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

I have the same problem but only when I play guitars with skinny necks.
                        50's style LP necks and thick Fender necks are fine. Ibanez?...PAIN!!!!
                        Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Originally posted by saladin View Post
                          I have the same problem but only when I play guitars with skinny necks.
                          50's style LP necks and thick Fender necks are fine. Ibanez?...PAIN!!!!
                          Really? I had the opposite happen. I went from a 50's to a 60's Gibby neck then to ESP Eclipse II, which isn't that far off from Ibanez. Playing became easier and less painful.

Comment

Could be an irritated nerve, or could simply be your fingers falling asleep from pressing against hard things for long periods of time.

You might want to take a beginning classical guitar class at your local community college, just to get a basic foundation for techniques that will ease stress on your left side. Obviously you aren't going to be playing electric exactly like a classical guitar if you play rock-n-roll, but you will certainly learn some helpful practices.
                            Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-21-2012, 05:24 AM.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Finally, concrete proof that practicing scales are hazardous to your health. I get inflamed tendons more often than I would like to admit, but anti inflammatory drugs do help, Advil, etc... And if your rockstar pose lasts more than 4 hours, call your doctor.
                              nobody loves me but my mama... and she could be jivin' too.

Comment

Working...
                              X