Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Possibilities?

Hello all,
    I have been GASSING for a Mesa Mark IV for a while now seeing how versitile it is really made me excited.
    However I'm not so sure it is the right amp for me or not.
    I do mostly play Jazz and cleaner type of stuff. Lately I have been getting back into my Punk/Metal roots again and wanted something with some KRUNCH!
    I have been reading pretty much evrey amp post on here to see if a solution would work well for me.
    Since I play with a clean tone the majority of the time I was thinking a Fender Twin might fit the bill, and if I want some KRUNCH, how well would a MESA V-Twin pedal/preamp work for me? Does it really get Recto Krunchy? Also where in the Ventura County/Los Angeles area could I demo this combo?
    One of these days i'll actually stop twiddling about and get some gear and my world domination will begin in earnest.

So my questions are, has anyone used this or a similar combination?
    What are your feelings on the Mesa V-Twin Pedal.
    Or should just stay the course and save the money for the Mark IV and stop second, third, Ninth guessing myself.
    Lou driver
    MIA Fender Deluxe Strat (Surfer Set/Custom Bridge)
    MIJ Strat APS1/APS1/PATB-3
    MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
    69' SF Bassman/ 212 Avatar Cab.
    Ibanez LR10 Semi Hollow Body
    Martin D28

Re: Amp Possibilities?

Fender Twin is the standard for clean tones IMHO. Bright and chiminess sound good to you? It has it in spades.

As far as what to get that crunch, you have plenty of pedal options to help you there. The V-Twin sounds more like the Mark series than the Rectos.

If you want a killer crunch, get the Tone Bone Hot British.

This way you get a killer clean tone and a pretty awesome distortion (not as good as some, but still great).
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris

As far as what to get that crunch, you have plenty of pedal options to help you there. The V-Twin sounds more like the Mark series than the Rectos.
      \ (not as good as some, but still great).

WOW, I do like the Mark sound better than the Recto's actually. This combo is starting to look pretty sexy to me
      Thanks for your input...
      Anyone else? Please
      MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
      Martin D28

Comment

Well, personally, i think my bassman has nice cleans, and it can get pretty crunchy on its own, if you pushed it with a pedal it could be pretty wicked.

I would see if there's any place in your area that has a decent collection of new and used gear, and go play some stuff, and see what works for you. Its all a matter of personal taste.
        '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
        Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
        '66 Fender Bassman
        Fender Champion 600
        Fender Stage 100

Comment

I don't think a Mark IV would steer you wrong. It won't do Recto., but it will certainly do GAIN CITY, and the cleans will put a much broader grin on your grill than those of a Recto.

That said, I think you'd be pretty happy with a Recto., too.
          F#@{ Clapton- Wenger is God!

Comment

The V-Twin sounds great with a fender twin and the fender twin has pristine clean tone on it's own. I think you are on the right track.

There is a guitar center in Oxnard, off of the 101 freeway in one of those newer shopping centers.
            My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Yeah, a V-Twin into a Twin would be plenty great, too. It wouldn't be quite as flexible, but it would be simpler/easier and probably cheaper.

Comment

I'd suggest looking into the Fender Pro Tube Concert, Twin, or Pro.
                These are major "sleeper" amps! They'll give you ever shade of crystal clean to
                high gain, and because new Fenders depreciate bigtime, you can score a new/used
                one for about the same price as a used Twin or Super Reverb Reissue. You'll like the tone and versatility of the Pro Tube Series! 1/4 power switch, mixable FX loop,
                bias points on the back panel, channel switching, plus all tube reverb and tremolo.
                Click on my gearpage to see the Concert Reverb.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks StevO, and to All,
                  I am familiar with the Oxnard GC, last time I was in I didn't see the V-Twin, but I can look again, or maybe have them get one in to demo.
                  As far as the twin goes, there seem to be several versions currently. I could get an older one on Fleabay, or get the Twin Professional series, or even the 65 reissue.
                  What are the differences? I'm leaning towards the Pro series as it has an effects loop which may come in handy.
                  Lou Driver
                  MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
                  Martin D28

Comment

One more thing...
                    Do you think the Pro Reverb at 50 watts would make more sense than the Twin at 100?
                    Or does the Twin have many more features and better sound to make it worth while to purchse it?
                    Does the 1/4 power switch work like a Hotplate?? Would the Twin with the power cut be appropriate for a small club/venue?
                    I like the 50watt amps myself, but if the power cut switch works well that problem would be solved.
                    Lou Driver
                    MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
                    Martin D28

Comment

Check out this new stuff that Fender is coming out with. I have not been able to find it(the 57 twin) yst, but I am looking forward to playing through it!
                      Discover the sound of Fender, the spirit of rock-n-roll since 1946. Shop Fender guitars, basses, amplifiers, audio equipment, accessories, apparel and more.
                      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Here's one more option:

I just bought a Quad Preamp, which means I'll no longer need my Studio Preamp. It has a crunched input jack (which still works, but should be replaced), no footswitch and no rack ears, but I'd let you have it for $150. Better sounds (and more of them) than the V-Twin, though not as easy to lug around if you're gigging.

Comment

Working...
                        X