"aftermarket" tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "aftermarket" tuners

i just read a guitar magazine article article about tuners and how the material and density can affect the sound. the article author even recommended to have at least 4 string winds around a post to get better sustain and tone.

has anyone tried aftermarket tuners? how are they?

Re: "aftermarket" tuners

All tuners are after market IMHO. Very few guitar builders make tuners, they buy them. That said. I have replaced tuners on a few of my guitars. I have Schaller locking tuners on 2 of my Strats, I put a set of Grover's on my 68 SG( I did this in the early 70's) i replaced the goto tuners with waverly's on y Santa Cruz. I plan on replacing the tuners on my regal dobro. I keep forgetting to order them and then when I go to change the strings I remember how bad they are. Good tuners are a must for maintaining stability, but I don't see how they can make a huge difference on electric guitars, maybe acoustic but not as much on electric.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Have a link to this article?

The mass of any tuner will affect the sound of the instrument. Being a good or bad thing is really up to the user.
      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

These days even whether you wear a polyester pants or cotton shorts will affect the ultimate sound of your guitar. I think aftermarket/ beforemarket tuners is more about tuning stability than sound.

Comment

april 2012 edition of premier guitar

Comment

Originally posted by verbotenco View Post
            These days even whether you wear a polyester pants or cotton shorts will affect the ultimate sound of your guitar. I think aftermarket/ beforemarket tuners is more about tuning stability than sound.
            While I do think that the mass will have an effect on tone, I agree with verbo that the amount of difference won't be huge and that it's more about tuning stability. I usually replace the tuners on my electrics with Sperzel locking tuners or Schaller locking tuners. Even without a trem, they hold tune better (especially if you bend a lot). It's not necessary unless you have crappy or broken tuners, but I like having them, and they sure make restringing a lot quicker
            MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

I call shenanigans!
              -
              My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Will tuners affect tone and sustain? Yes.

Will it be a big enough difference to matter? Hard to say.
                Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                  All tuners are after market IMHO. Very few guitar builders make tuners, they buy them. That said. I have replaced tuners on a few of my guitars. I have Schaller locking tuners on 2 of my Strats, I put a set of Grover's on my 68 SG( I did this in the early 70's) i replaced the goto tuners with waverly's on y Santa Cruz. I plan on replacing the tuners on my regal dobro. I keep forgetting to order them and then when I go to change the strings I remember how bad they are. Good tuners are a must for maintaining stability, but I don't see how they can make a huge difference on electric guitars, maybe acoustic but not as much on electric.
                  +1. The only reason to change tuners is to replace original crappy one's with locking tuners. If anything they'll make string changes faster.

I have heard no tonal changes after replacing the originals though.

Comment

Working...
                  X