banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone left stock import pick ups in because they sound great?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Has anyone left stock import pick ups in because they sound great?

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
    That's basically what I was saying. Someone buys a guitar, usually online,then while they are waiting for the guitar to arrive they order new pickups without knowing what the guitar is going to sound like! That's what I don't get. After a while you know what you want but not all guitars react to pickup changes the same way. No question that a pickup swap can save a Guitar but in many cases what you think is going to happen....... Doesn't.
    As someone who has bought many guitars online, I can say without fear of contradiction that just about any good aftermarket PU will sound noticeably better than the bulk of stock Asian PU's. They just don't have the definition and clarity, or tone quality. So yes, it's perfectly logical to buy PU's for a guitar you haven't played yet. Or for example, if a new guitar has American-made PU's with ceramic magnets, I know that either the PU's or the magnets are getting changed out. This doesn't take pyschic abilities.

In my case, I keep a stash of spare PU's that I got for a good price, and will buy guitars to put them in. I don't see that it's a problem.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

the ones in My Vintage Metal Axxe that I bought a few month back are kick ass.... they remind me of a friend's guitar at college a few years back that was fitted with invaders. I won't change the pups in that.
      Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
      you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

I have a Squier Vintage Modified SH tele that came with Duncan Designed PU's. I've put a Jerry Donahue bridge and a Mean 90 neck, but honestly I never get the tones I wanted from it. I don't play this guitar as much as I play my SG, which have all the tones that I want. So, since I don't play this guitar very much, I keep getting myself thinking about leaving the guitar stock and make money with the pickups I've bought.

Comment

The stock bridge pickup on my J&D les paul deluxe is crazy good. It is made in taiwan. I tried the SH6 but I actually like the stock pickup more. It has this chewy midrange texture, and also crunchy aggresive top end similar to SH6 but more complex harmonics. The neck pickup sucks so I put sh2 jazz in.

Comment

I want to put something noiseless into my 85 MIJ thinline tele but the bridge pickup sounds too good to swap out.

Comment

Yamaha Pacifica 604 I've had since 1998. The bridge pickup is a dual single-coil, something like a Stag Mag but with less output, a bit more clarity and a bit less warmth.

Comment

I just installed a Dimarzio D-Activator in the bridge of my Indonesian seven string Ibanez RGD7421. The stock one couldn't handle the low B at all, but the D-Activator makes my guitar sound like a chainsaw, which is not exactly what I was looking for.
                Frank
                - PRS SE Custom (Jazz/JB)
                - Ibanez RGD7421 (D-Activator)
                - Tanglewood TW170AS-CE

Traynor YCS100 through Marshall 1960 lead (4x12)
                Originally posted by Curt
                Whatever you do, remember to play in the crabcore position, it helps with the tone.

Comment

I have the Duncan Designed HB-102's in my Schecters and I like them, But I am wondering about a mag swap. I put a Seth Lover bridge in the neck position of my lap steel and left the 250k pot because this instrument was way too bright. I love it now, and thats what has me thinking about the mag swap.
                  I want more me in my tone.

Comment

I left the stock pickups in my PRs 245 se so far. Ive toyed with the idea of droppin a 59/custom in the bridge. But I havent decided fully yet. THe pups in there dont sound half bad in all honestly.

Comment

2+ days and no one has mentioned Danelectro lipsticks??

Comment

My first guitar has been left totally stock. The LTD pickups that came in it just work in that guitar. I've never really had the need to switch em out.

I can't imagine taking the stock bridge pickup out of my MIJ Strat. Its monstrous. I changed the other two, but never the bridge.

After trying other pickups, I soon returned my SX P-bass to stock. That stock P pickup is mean. Haven't changed the pickups on my Jazz either, they're quite nice.
                        Originally posted by Aceman
                        It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Yep. Xaviere XV-820 Thinline has the stock GFS pickups (Hot TC Alnico and Alnico neck). I'm going to replace the stock neck with the GFS '52 Premium neck some time soon though.
                          Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

I can't imagine taking the stock bridge pickup out of my MIJ Strat. Its monstrous. I changed the other two, but never the bridge.
                            Are they dimarzio custom wound? I had a set of those in my MIJ strat, the bridge pickup is really good

Comment

I have a guitar that has the stock pups in it (Hamer Duotone) which sound great even to this day. Most other guitars I do, indeed, swap out the pickups. Most of thetime it is because I want to wire something into the guitar like a coil-split.

Of course, I've also been known to buy pickups and then swap out the guitar...!
                              -=The Dali
                              --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Working...
                              X