STUPID NEIGHBORS!!!! Amp CRISIS!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUPID NEIGHBORS!!!! Amp CRISIS!!!!!

Just last week i finally "completed" my Superdrive 80 II head by getting the matching 4x12 and getting JJ tubes to replace the crap the previous owner had in it (stock i think). Sounds INCREDIBLE!!! But of course now theres a big problem. I have been playing with the master around 9'-10' o clock (not crazy loud but still pretty darn loud). But as i was finally told by someone on the street that they can hear it and that the all the neighbors (mostly cranky old people with nothing to do) have been yelling about me and at me, but none of them have been adult enough to come over and talk to me like adults. The story goes on and on and on but ill just say that they decided to be complete a**holes and have yet to address me personally . This is DEFINENTLY not the first time we've had our miserable neighbors do things like this and i can only imagine what will happen next.

Anyways, long story short, i am a power tube distortion junky and need to at least have them working to get me going. But this amp is really loud even for gigs (louder than any modern 100w Marshall or Mesa ive played) and now with the neighbors taking this to an extreme which i wont go into i think i might need to try to find the 30w version of this head, which sound different but hopefully just as good. I guess the good side is that i'll be able to work the amp much harder for when i do bigger live shows i sometimes do it Sacramento... Any thoughts, know any good ways (im not talking attentuators) to keep sound contained and not project down the entire block.

By the way, the nearest neighbors live well over 100 feet away, i dont live house to house!
    EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Re: STUPID NEIGHBORS!!!! Amp CRISIS!!!!!

Oopps....sorry....just saw you don't want attenuaters. The Weber Mass or THD are supposed to be pretty transparent.

Or you can just keep doing it untill someone say's something to you directly.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

You can buy some of that sound insulaton board that schools use. It's really meant to go under the sheetrock in the roam, but you could just tack it up in your music room. It's dark brown and fugly.

It comes in 8x10 sheets, made out of very dense fibers. I used it when I buile the music room in my garage. Could you make yourself a small 11x12 room in your garage? It didn't cost me much at all and I built it myself with only a few minutes help from my son.

Also, windows conduct sound very nicely. If you have lots of windows in your music room, you need to insulate them as well with a piece of this sound board or some really heavy fabric curtain things.

Also, lower the bass a bit when you crank it. The bass is what drives them nuts.

Good luck.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
        You can buy some of that sound insulaton board that schools use. It's really meant to go under the sheetrock in the roam, but you could just tack it up in your music room. It's dark brown and fugly.

It comes in 8x10 sheets, made out of very dense fibers. I used it when I buile the music room in my garage. Could you make yourself a small 11x12 room in your garage? It didn't cost me much at all and I built it myself with only a few minutes help from my son.

Also, windows conduct sound very nicely. If you have lots of windows in your music room, you need to insulate them as well with a piece of this sound board or some really heavy fabric curtain things.

Also, lower the bass a bit when you crank it. The bass is what drives them nuts.

Good luck.
        That sounds like a good idea, the amp is currently in the garage, thats were ive been playing it. So i should cover the windows... Then the area around were the amp is or the entire garage? Its a big garage with lots of stuff in it, but i could kinda make a little semi room thing out of it? I dont think i could actually build a real room in the garage cause it filled with stuff, but maybe something like that......
        Were can i get this stuff?

Thanks Scott!
        Last edited by Maximusgordon 2.0; 04-08-2004, 03:08 PM.
        EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Comment

Is it possible to move into the actual house at all? That might quiet it down a bit.
          -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
          I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

sounds to me that your the one in the wrong. respect people.

Comment

Windows? I'd also be concerned about getting ripped off. This is one reason why 100 watt amps have really fallen out of favor with most players. It's a great amp, but not one that's suited to home practice. At least it's worth a lot of money, so you can always get your investment back out of it. If you love it's tone, then maybe swapping it for the Superdrive 30 would be a good idea. I think that amp has EL-84's, tho, so the sound would be a bit different, especially the bottom end.

IMO, your solution will either be...getting a gigging amp that sounds equally great at low volumes, OR keeping that thing in the closet at home, and using a more appropriate practice amp. I've had a cop's billyclub stuck right through my garage door before, so I know where you're coming from. LOL
              Right now, I use the 120W Bogner at my rehearsal space, which I pay for, and
              use my Vox Valvetronix AD60 head on a Jubilee 4-12, set on 15W at home.
              Sure, it's not the juiciest tube tone I've heard, but it's close enough for practicing.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

100 watts is a lot of sound for home use....
                esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                fender mim standard strat
                peavey classic 30
                johnson j-station
                original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                yamaha f-310p acoustic
                taylor 410 acoustic
                "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

If no one has addressed the problem to you personally, then the problem doesn't exist What are you supposed to guess if it's annoying or not?
                  Ibanez RG1570: stock
                  Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Comment

I am really interested in setting up one of those virtually sound proof rooms. What works the best? I know I will have one in the future

That sucks about your neighbors MaximusGordon, if noone says anything, I still wouldn't worry about it
                    Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                    Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Better is often the enemy of good
                    Originally posted by ginormous
                    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I have this biatch downstairs from me who slams her broomstick into her ceiling everytime she hears my guitar. We frown at each other everytime we see each other outside. One day, she came to my door (and I knew it was her). I opened the door, and before she could even start talking, I said "I have something for you" and slapped some foam earplugs into her hand, as my girlfriend was yelling behind me, "tell that F'in Grinch to get lost!" Then I slammed the door. Case closed.
                      Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-08-2004, 05:48 PM.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I gotta side with the neighbors on this one. Noise pollution can lead to some pretty big fines. I love a cranked Marshall but my neighbors could very well despise the sounds I make. I don't risk it, I attenuate out of respect for my neighbors as well as my wife. Your gonna have to spend some bucks to get that garage soundproofed, full insulation + windows and doors and maybe the floor carpeted. I would much rather spend 160.00 on a Mass than spend the time and effort and cash on something that likely won't work unless done right. I don't want to hear my neighbors hobbies blaring while I try to read.
                        ]
                        FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                          I gotta side with the neighbors on this one. Noise pollution can lead to some pretty big fines. I love a cranked Marshall but my neighbors could very well despise the sounds I make. I don't risk it, I attenuate out of respect for my neighbors as well as my wife. Your gonna have to spend some bucks to get that garage soundproofed, full insulation + windows and doors and maybe the floor carpeted. I would much rather spend 160.00 on a Mass than spend the time and effort and cash on something that likely won't work unless done right. I don't want to hear my neighbors hobbies blaring while I try to read.

good point
                          esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                          fender mim standard strat
                          peavey classic 30
                          johnson j-station
                          original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                          dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                          yamaha f-310p acoustic
                          taylor 410 acoustic
                          "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Why wouldn't you want something like a MASS? Just curious... IMO, it should be standard equipment for anyone who wants to hear their power tubes distort.

Comment

I think 100 watt might be alittle too much man for home use. For gigs it might even be too much! Myabe et a lower wattage version of your amp, OR sound proof your room. Personally i know how you feel i like playing loud and only have a 10 watt! haha my my rents go nutty when its cranked haha ...but not my neighbors cuz its so small. BUT whe i get my 50 watt hea di know im gonna amke alot of noise, but too bad for them! haha but in al seriousness maybe you shoudl respect your nieghbors and lowere the volume man, i mean amps can and will get loud but you need to take responsibility for your toys and make sure it doesnt bother people....i think they can actually cvall the police too shut you up if your making to much noise for distrbing the peace?
                              Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Working...
                              X